What a bad day means for CI users

Cara Mia

• HearPeers Heroes

I saw some people mentioned that there are bad days for us (CI users). What does it exactly mean?

So far I had two days of hyperacusis. But I'd call it too good day when you are not ready for that. But if serious, what to expect on our way of mastering hearing with CI?

With my HA my bad days were when I had muffled hearing like being inside a barrel. Sometimes had some discomfort when my glasses competed with my HA for the better place on my ear. For the last two months I noticed nothing bad. But waiting for that and it is why I want to know in advance :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmmm I'm not sure how to respond.....

I have not had random bad days with my CIs. They amaze me daily.

I did run into trouble with new MAPs last month that resulted in difficult days until I could go and get new MAPs. But after getting the new MAPs, life was back on track again.

I've been very lucky on my journey. It never ceases to amaze me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well you likely may not encounter it. I had headaches or pain. But if the. Device gives you problems that works be a bad day

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know about bad days. I would say frustrating after a new mapping but then it gets better. Sometimes after being in a noisy atmosphere for a long time (like days), again, frustrating but after some time but myself, it's all good. I am thankful every day that I'm making this journey. Plus we are fortunate that we have the option of tuning in or tuning out, the latter becoming less and less as time goes on.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's good to know that there is nothing special to expect - issues with mapping and devises are not counted as that is a different story.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with Sandy. Probably a better way to describe it would be frustrating. Some due to the situation and how far along I was and others, my expecting too much in a certain situation. Hearing people struggle in certain situations. It isn't unreasonable to expect us to as well.

That being said. There were and are significantly more great and good days than there are frustrating. Just roll with the punches.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, I also feel frustrated sometimes and mostly due to my expectations to hear much better right now. I tried to speak over the phone with our company new partner in Canada. I was able to follow only for several minutes. I could understand her even with some other people talking at her end, but I was in a such tension so I asked my coworker to be a middle man. Was very frustrated because of that despite everybody had a fun (even me) from a such kind of conversation and, which is more important, the issues were resolved in our favor.

But everything else, just like all of you said -  most of the things are much great than before and each day I have something new that amazes me. Where are my reasonable expectations I had before surgery when all that I wanted was just hear at least something instead of nothing!

It is like appetite comes with eating.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are becoming a sound junkie!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, even normal-hearing people have days when they do not hear or understand what thez were said. Our mood can affect us in preety wide spectar of emotions, not to mention our dear "better-halves" ;):D

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, thanks for a "sound junkie". Now I know what to say myself when frustrated. No way for me to get used to this emotional state.

Ivana, I even not able to believe that normal-hearing people have days when they cannot catch something said to them. Just have not remembered that when I was not like recently. And everybody around seems so  skillful at hearing!

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, thanks for a "sound junkie". Now I know what to say myself when frustrated. No way for me to get used to this emotional state.

Ivana, I even not able to believe that normal-hearing people have days when they cannot catch something said to them. Just have not remembered that when I was not like recently. And everybody around seems so  skillful at hearing!

I didn't mean to say that they do not actually hear than they do not understand...:)  You know when you can swear that is not problem for you to understand but yet you don't... :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Fast forward many years when we are hearing still awesome with our CIs and our loved ones have age-related hearing loss. The tables will turn eventually.

Haha Mary Beth!

I've got one for a bad day

It's when your crush finally noticed you

Came to say hi and chat

And you ran out of batteries.

That's life

And I'm just being silly

:-) :-)

And seriously for Cara, I think maybe the learning curve is not a direct progress. Maybe some days are better than others because our brain is complex. And it's also subjective when we rate the day based on how we feel. Anyway, continue looking at the picture as a whole as you've been doing and don't get discouraged.. Best of luck. You're awesome.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara,

Fast forward many years when we are hearing still awesome with our CIs and our loved ones have age-related hearing loss. The tables will turn eventually.

You are so correct, Mary Beth. Afraid a little bit that times coming :) As a part of my rehab I asked my husband to read me poems aloud. Before he had nothing to do with the poetry for all his life. He suffers tremendously doing this for me, but, guys, he sounds so romantic. So, I am expecting, when it is my time to read him aloud, he made me to read him his programming code he wrote during his life more as some kind of  retaliation then a rehabilitation :)

And you ran out of batteries.

That's life

And I'm just being silly

:-) :-)

I also had that situation once. Used it as an opportunity to buy Duracell batteries to check their performance against PowerOne batteries. But felt silly for that episode, too :-)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

And seriously for Cara, I think maybe the learning curve is not a direct progress. Maybe some days are better than others because our brain is complex. And it's also subjective when we rate the day based on how we feel. Anyway, continue looking at the picture as a whole as you've been doing and don't get discouraged.. Best of luck. You're awesome.

Nikki, thank you for you kind words. I agree completely, that the learning (rehab) process is rather curve than a direct progress as I think it is how our brain works. Sometimes our brain needs time to process updates, install new drivers and reset its software. I even noticed that sometimes a day when you just relax and do nothing for training helps to advance to another level. And that's true for me that the way we feel affect my mental processes performance. It is why I have started working on my skills to be on top of my emotions. I prefer to define them and not to allow them to define my days. But that emotions... they are such rebels :)   So, wish all of us - don't worry, be happy. You know "This, too, shall pass" :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara

That's very funny. I'm sure you would find a way to make programming code sound exciting. Maybe, put it to music.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, thanks for another good idea! I will put it to music. It will be rap style music - he hates it more than me so I will be excused soon after starting that :)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Ladies, you are so naughty! Ain't it fun

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

It sure is!! But Cara is right sometimes we tend to let our emotions get in the way. Positive thinking is a big key. It is a slow tedious journey not a clear jump over the hurdle type thing. It takes much time and practice the where patience and perseverance come into play. The three P's. Good luck to all the newbies!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, thanks for another good idea! I will put it to music. It will be rap style music - he hates it more than me so I will be excused soon after starting that :)

What about reggae music - still falls into to the category of spoken music :) Or if Mr. Cara prefers - you can put it like Homer in The Odyssey, the hexametric rhyme scheme ;)

Is it rap? Or perhaps politically motivated poems by Jack Kerouac?  B) 

Yo - girLZ!  :P 

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, Ivana, reggae is absolutely lovely thing to listen. And no, I don’t prefer to speak like Homer (it he is not Simpson, of course) – some classic is not readable for me the same as programming code:

“Why cover the same ground again? ... It goes against my grain

to repeat a tale told once, and told so clearly.”
Control ”OK”, IDOK “Button”, WS_TABSTOP,

prob.FcnConstraint.Value.Array=Fcn

prob.FcnObjective.Value.(0)=obj

@&_*%%$+!

I believe all of that sounds pretty homeric :)

But I don’t mind something in Jack Kerouac's style : “One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Homer (at least not the Simprson one) didn`t speak in hexametric rhyme - perhaps the beer rhyme... :D

Yeah! - I remember basics of Basic language in my elementary school: some things never change... :blink:  :lol:

“Somewhere along the line, the pearl would be handed to me.” 
Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"   :wub: