Hearing aid to bilateral implants?

Percy

Has anyone here had experience with having a CI in one ear and a hearing aid in the other and then getting a CI in the hearing aid ear? Was it better or worse than the hearing aid? Better than the first CI?

Thanks for your help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi PHarrell,

Yes I received a CI in my right ear and wore a HA in my left ear. Then I received a CI in my left ear, so now I am bilateral CI.

I knew it was time to get a second CI when the HA was no longer providing any assistance. In fact, it became like wearing a noise maker since my CI was so far superior to the HA.

For me, having 2 CIs is so much better. I do a lot of aural rehab with each CI alone and also both together. That has been a big help.

You could poll 100 people with bilateral CIs and you will get a mix of people who find their first CI is better, people who find their second CI is better and people who find both CIs are equal.

For me at this time (R CI 14 months, L CI 6 months), my CIs are balanced.

Best of luck on your journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting question. PHarrell, thank you for asking. Mary Beth, thank you for answering.

As always, all situations are so individual and too many factors affect the CI result that it is not easy to tell anything specific.

All that we can - just hope that we will get at least the same good result with the second CI as we had with the first.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, I am not a CI user, but I am hoping I will add 2 cents...;)

If there are remain traces of hearing cells which can discern low(er) frequencies, a lot of people say that they love to hear it with a hearing aid, especially if they listened a music. But, this is the moment which varies from person to person, because you need to have this ability to talk about it.  

• HearPeers Heroes

To add my piece here.....I couldn't listen to music anymore with my two hearing aids or talk on the phone or listen to the radio. So my one CI has given most of this back to me in my short 6 months being activated. I only have one implant for now I hope to go bilateral in the near future.