Quick link to hear our friend Roy

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy Louis Smith

at about the 51 minute in this Sound Sensation show

Roy, which over the ear headphones are you using with your Rondos?

E3B7E22E-9C27-4035-9F59-5B8640CACCCC.png

Hi Mary Beth,

The video clip is over a year old and the headphones were one of many different sets belonging to my sound engineer, but…

Using scientific detective skills honed over a lifetime of data mining, (or truly, to be honest, the zoom feature on my iPad and Google) I believe they’re Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO studio headphones, available from multiple online vendors for less than $150. I can also recall that I really liked both their sound and comfort, and now that I’ve figured out what they are I may buy a pair.

Looking forward to seeing the MED-EL festival finale later today!

• HearPeers Heroes

Me too @Roy Louis Smith

Let me know if you are available for the October HP GoogleMeet.  We would love to hear about your experience at Sound Sensation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Awesome @Roy Louis Smith!

I just listened to your album Mended Spirit today on Apple Music.  It is fabulous!

Thanks very much for the kind words!

It had been forty-five years since I'd been in a recording studio, so the making of the album was an intense experience - educational, humbling, exhilarating and frightening in equal parts. I relied heavily on my producer, Jon Shain (who's a noted blues guitarist in his own right) and my sound engineer, FJ Ventre (also a hugely talented bassist). The album also includes nine guest musicians, including my wife Janet and MED-EL's Johanna Boyer, both doing vocals.

And to make things more interesting I got new CI processors halfway through recording and later had a major reprogramming as part of a University of North Carolina research study - just before the final tracks needed to be approved. I hadn't acclimated yet and I absolutely could not tell if they were any good or not! The life of a CI-using musician is never boring!

Anyway, besides being on Apple Music, Mended Spirit is also available on Google Music, Spotify, YouTube Music and as free YouTube videos, and it can be purchased for download at the Apple Music store. All gross proceeds (such as they are) go directly to the Janet and Roy Smith Cochlear Implant Research Fund at the University of North Carolina. It's a small measure of my gratitude to those who have given me back my life.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy Louis Smith

That is so cool!

Meg Dillon from UNC presented on CI and music this week and she mentioned that they are testing a way to shift frequency bands assigned to each electrode based on the position of the array in an individual’s cochlea.  Different from Med-El’s OTOPLAN anatomy based fitting but similar in concept.  Is that what you had MAPped?  I bet it takes awhile to adjust.

Yup, that’s exactly what I had. First a CT scan to locate the exact position of each electrode array, and then Meg’s magic remapping. 

There was little change in high frequencies, but the lows, OMG! Massive increase. It took about three months for male voices, mine included, to sound right again. But once they did (and, yes, they sound just fine now) I found my sense of pitch had substantially improved.

Meg is brilliant, and she’s onto something.