Questions on CI for my 9 months old Son

el_padrino

Greetings,

I'm from Canada and just learned that our son has a total loss in both ears. We don't know yet if he is eligible for CIs. MRI is scheduled within a month and it seems that some cases such as absence of audition nerve or major issues on cochlea will prevent my son being eligible. 

This stresses me out. My question to you experts, are these cases very common? 

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeeers! Dont fret. The surgeons are fabulous. I don't have any experience with little kids but from what little knowledge I do have of my own journey is to have hope and never give up. They will look at the MRI to check the anatomy of the cochleas. With little children they do bilateral implants in Canada. So be patient. It's very stressful I'm sure but rest assured the surgeons will do what is best for your child. Keep us posted and ask as many questions as you feel comfortable.

Thank you @Kara of Canada.

Yes they do bilateral. However they split the surgery in two phases to reduce the risk. We are hopeful.

I'll keep you posted. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I will be here!! Keep me posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck. It's great that you are pursuing CIs. Many many deaf kids benefit from CIs.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers and good luck. Try not to stress too much. Remember the doctors are doing the best for your son. What part of this great country, Canada, are you from? I live in Thunder Bay and travel to London to see my audiologist.

Thank you Sandy. We live in Quebec City. It seems that we have one of the best public CI centers in the country. I hope that my son will be able to do this CI.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello El_Padrino,

As my colleagues already wished you - welcome to the HP. :)  Pardon me for my late response, but I am on the road visiting Netherland so I look around - not my mobile phone..:P

Regarding your specific questions, current estimates of the prevalence of congenital SNHL are between 1 and 6 newborns per 1,000. 20-30% of patients with congenital hearing loss demonstrate some sort of radiographically anomalous inner ear. BUT only 3% are complete cochlear aplasias. Results of the implantation which were conducted proven that even lack od complete development of the cochlea does not mean that these children do not have solution. On the contrary, rehabilitation were very successful. :) 

But, if this scenario happens after all, there is still one more solution - ABI or Auditory Branstem Implant. You, in Canada have this type of the implant available. But - step by step...;)

If you have any other questions - try us: I am pretty sure that we cover many topics. :) 

• Like 3

Greetings,

Just came from an ABR test for our son and it seems that he has an anditory neuropathy. Anyone knows about this and if it impacts CIs?

Thanks,

• HearPeers Heroes

There are several parents of children with ANSD (auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder) who have received Med-El CIs in the Facebook group

MedEl Cochlear Implant Discussion Group

Join it and ask your question there too. Then those parents can share their experiences with you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Greetings,

Just came from an ABR test for our son and it seems that he has an anditory neuropathy. Anyone knows about this and if it impacts CIs?

Thanks,

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/836769-overview

This is an excellent medical encyclopaedia.