Normal hearing?

Percy

Out of curiosity, I wonder if a person with normal hearing received a cochlear implant, how well would they hear?

• HearPeers Heroes

That's an interesting question but I wonder why someone who has thousands of working hair receptors in their cochlea would want to give that up for 250 pitches?

If I was taking a guess at your question, I would expect them to hear as well as great CI users hear after they adjusted to the stimulation. What would be your guess?

I know the scenario would be way out of the norm. I figured they would probably do much better than any of us since there nerve has been in full function for a long time? Or maybe such would be the case if a person had sudden hearing loss and got implanted right way?

Just some thoughts.

• HearPeers Heroes

There are many studies which show that length of deafness has a strong correlation to CI performance. However predicting success with CIs is not fully understood yet which is why our surgeons and audiologists can not predict our success prior to surgery.

My own experience contradicts this. My right ear processed no sound for 24 years yet has performed excellently with a CI.

There remain many mysteries in this journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great question - one vote from me too!

Well, for now we base much of our theories about hearing loss (re)habilitation on the theory of previously made neural pathways, but - how then we could explain hearing habilitation of young babies who have never heard - anything?! 

Of course, neuroplasticity is the key within their group but also a group of people who performs extremely well with their CIs; the real question is how well people ever evolve their hearing during their lives and - how much efforts they invest into their rehabilitation.

I believe that key is not - one factor than interdisciplinary aggregation of various factors, there among everything else I find a man the greatest link in the chain.

• HearPeers Heroes

The greatest links in the chain...smile.....surgeon, audiologist, dedicated CI user

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

;)

Mary Beth - I haven't forgotten you (inbox question): I am on the road and have limited resources... I'll think something about it. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Enjoy your travels and be safe my friend.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Coming home.. Spending two days in Vienna on my way home - tomorrow: home sweet home!  :wub:

• 10 months later...

For some 35 to 40 years, my hearing was deteriating and I used BTE aids. When I lost it 2 years ago, I qualified for CIs. I have a set of Rondos and a set of Sonnets. I actually prefer the Sonnets, and I think it's because I was so accustomed to the BTE aids before. That is not to say that I don't use the Rondos from time to time. I try to use the Sonnets for boing out somewhere and the Rondos at home and around people I know. Usually I use the Sonnets with the rechargeable batteries and then switch to the Rondos with the disposable batteries, simply because they both get equal usage. I totally enjoy them so much and cannot get over the sounds that I am hearing with total pleasure.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is a very interesting topic. I think ultimately it depends on the persons brain, rehab and even what the expectations are of the person. If their expectations are too high or they don't do the rehab like they should. The outcome might not be nearly as good. 

I have read many cases of people with close to normal and some with perfect hearing, for some reason having a case of sudden onset hearing loss and end up getting CI's. Their journeys pretty much mirror those that have had hearing loss for a while before implantation. I don't think we can assume that they would automatically do much better than somebody that has been deaf for a period of time. 

My left ear went profound in my mid 20's right around that time, my right ear dropped to borderline severe. Fast forward to 2009. I was 41 and had to have a Labrynthectomy in my left ear. This destroyed any residual hearing left in that ear. Of course the hearing that was there before was really of no use. Then 2011, over the period of a month, my hearing in my right ear dropped to profound. By the end of the month, all I could detect were vibrations from the headphones, not really sound. I now have 2 ci's you would think that I would "hear better" from my right ear as I had hearing in it for years longer than I did my left.

Ironically enough, if I talk to somebody on the phone, I'll always use my left "dead ear" as I feel I can hear better on the phone with it. I haven't had a hearing test on each individual ear in quite a long time. I never would have figured that I percieve to hear better on the phone with the ear that had basically nothing for 20+ years. Of course as they say, perception is reality. 

So that is my very long winded answer to say it is really hard to tell. There are so many factors that have to come into play, I don't know that you can say for certainty that one person would perform better over the other. Of course this is assuming we are talking about a hearing person compared to a postlingually deafened person. 

I could be way off base but that's my $02. 

Adam

Before loosing my hearing, I ALWAYS used the phone on the right ear since the left one was the worse of the two. Since I've had my implants, I use the phone on the left ear, but that doesn't mean that the right one will not definitely come back into focus for the phone. My right instruments are still about one step from final fine tuning. That's a difficult situation to second guess. My electrodes were put all the way into the cochlear, so that is a definite advantage for anyone.