Rehabilitation

violinmemories

As you know I'm getting Med-El on March 5th, my activation date is March 27th. Over the past few weeks I have been slowly getting stuff together, I know I have time to get the rehab stuff together, but I wanted to start a file now for after my activation; reason being that I want to make sure I am prepared and I will know exactly where my information is, so I am not hunting around for exercises and support.

Can someone tell me if you get information on rehabilitation at the activation or is this something I do on my own time? I will be the first adult in my state to be implanted with a Med-El, my surgeon has done children at the local hospital but just recently the adult hospital approved the purchase of Med-El, they currently do Cochlear America. While this is really exciting, right now it's a little scary for me as I'm guessing it's going to be a trial and error as to what works and what doesn't. Or am I just inviting problems and seeing things where there really aren't.

Anyways, can some of you tell me what helped you after the activation to train the brain better? Is there a specific type of music I should start out listening to (Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop, etc..), telephone numbers to practice with (of course with time). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mere

• 2 years later...

go to soundscape med el. there are lots of different listening exercises to practice. some for kids and grown ups.   I do both. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe Meredith received her CI in March 2013

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Adam - this is true but someone else could read more than just own's post ;)

It's never too late to write as much as it is possible so people can find possibly useful information. :)

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
Yes Adam - this is true but someone else could read more than just own's post ;)

It's never too late to write as much as it is possible so people can find possibly useful information. :)[/quote. ]brings me to this post Ivana!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Huh Kara - pardon me, but I didn't understand you :(

• HearPeers Heroes

It's ok Ivana. It's just that I wanted to make the point that we need to put out as much information as possible so that others can pick and choose what they need. It doesn't always have to be exact as others will make their own decisions as what works for them. That's all!!❤️

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Its 2016 and I'm looking for this information now. I don't even know what I'm supposed to do to get ready. Reading lots of what you great people have posted which helps my anxiety but beyond that???

• HearPeers Heroes

How can we help you Kay? Are you asking for more direction with how to train after activation or just how to spend the time leading up to it all?

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, I just don't know what to expect other than I know things won't be perfect to start with. I don't think I have too high expectations. Do I need to be doing something before surgery to prepare? What about training? I have been told to use abc's numbers and reading all orally. My audiologist kind of downplayed the music expectations so I am glad to see you all saying it helps the process as music is a big deal with me. I wonder if I just need to wait and see what I need to do after I'm activated? To be honest I'm very nervous about this whole process which kind of surprises me. I usually take things as they come.

Thanks I need to go to bed

• HearPeers Heroes

Before activation there is nothing to do but rest up! After activation though that's when the work starts. Baby steps. Your Audi will tell what they expect of you. Everything takes time. Some people hear things aprogress quickly. Others it takes time to adjust to hearing and to new sounds. It all depends on our brains ability to adapt and progress we call this neuro plasticity. So don't stress get excited!! Good luck and keep us posted. Kara

• HearPeers Heroes

Good morning Kay,

Before surgery there is nothing to do but wait. Smile. After surgery but before activation your focus will be on recovery. At activation many different things could happen and all of them are fine. When your audiologist turns your full processor on for speech (after testing electrodes with beeps), you may hear:

-static and beeps

-clicks

-buzzing

-bells

-robotic sounding speech

-Mickey mouse sounding speech

-this list goes on and on because it is different for everyone and even the same person may have different responses in each ear if they are bilateral CI

As far as training goes, my CI center asked me to type up some helpful aural rehab tips for adults. I am happy to email it to you if you are interested. Just give me your email address (either in a post here or at the top in a private message).

Feeling anxious is normal. It's a big step.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay - don't give up of anything: music, phone or something else... Just do as you would do a basic training... There are no right or wrong way except - doing nothing.

Just be patient, do your practical part of homework and - persevere. Here lies a key of success... Don't think about results - the most amazing things happens when you don't expect at all. :)