Washing hair after surgery

Ms_D

Hey guys, when I had the implant on my right side, my doctor instructed me to not wash my hair at all until after the post-surgery follow up a week later.  This time, they said I can wash my hair but not get the area wet.  I have been unable to wash my hair due to a lot of pain in my head and neck.  However, if the pain decrease soon, I would like to wash my hair.  I am wondering how successful ya'll were at washing hair without getting the area wet.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I tilted my head to avoid the area and it worked. Sorry about your pain. I hope you feel better soon.

I waited a week to wash my hair then totally failed to keep it dry , the sticky plaster over the scar fell off but the problem was I got the packing in my ear canal wet and it really started to hurt. so I went to the local hospital and had the doctor pull it out , I still can't believe how long the piece of wadding he pulled out was. "What the hell is that" the doctor said "did you put that in there " . I tried to explain about the ci surgeon stuffing it in there but I don't think he believed me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Every surgeon does things differently. I followed the directions my surgeons gave me, but I did not have any packing in my ear canal.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi I had to wait five days after surgery. I did have some packing in the ear canal for the first couple or days.

The first time, they didn't put anything inside my ear.  This time, I had a cotton ball.  Since they told me to replace the gauze if it get bloodstained, I took out the cotton ball because it was blood stained.  I just learned yesterday that I was suppose to keep that in.  So, my husband went and bought more cotton ball and we put a fresh one in.  They just did a few things different this time; which left me confused.

• HearPeers Heroes

Always surprised how everything is different depending on clinic and surgeon. I got an instruction that it is OK to wash my hair on the day after the surgery. There was nothing about packing the ear canal. My sticky plaster over my incision was put for about 10 more days. It took some efforts to scrub it off completely. Washed my hair the day after my surgery. It was so relaxing to get under warm water after all that disturbance.

Donna, I am glad for you that you had done with the surgery part. Wish you speedy recovery and happy activation.

After waiting four days, I finally washed my hair - really just the bottom part of my hair - a little bit closer to the top, but I did not wash much (as a matter of fact, I know I didn't wash all of it).  Anyways, my husband held a towel over the incision are to prevent water in the ear and prevent the water from getting on the incision area.  I used the hair dryer right fast to dry the hair to prevent any possibility of getting water near the incision area.  I was  a bit wet down around the baseline, but my husband believe it is sweat. The top part of the steri-strip is coming off, but my husband said there is another layer underneath and it don't look wet.  Here's hoping I didn't get any water in or around the area.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi girls....:)

Actually, although certain procedures are strictly prescribed (like the implantation), certain things like bending and taking care about wound is like little rituals which each surgeon has own beliefs and approaches although you could think it`s not such a nuclear physiscs. ;) It is. :P

Taking into account that wounds heal pretty fast, more important than exposing them to the water is not stretching them because dermal fibers need up to 6 months to reach the strength they had before the op. :)

Other than that, it is not expected that water will get through the excision - if that would be a case, believe me - we wouldn`t leave you out of the hospital without at least amount of gauze enough to bend you like you have a turban on the top of your head :P:D

• Like 2

It's hard to resist stretching...but I try not too.  Right now, I can't even pop my neck...which would really feel nice.  At least now I can wash my hair while showering.  The incision definitely is healing fast. Thankfully!

• HearPeers Heroes

So glad I found this post. Suggestions welcome. I'm not supposed to get any water on mine for 10 days!! My daughter in law washed half of it yesterday but I don't know how I'm going to get it done til next Sunday. I may just try to do it with wash cloths. I know I will be really crazy by then. How can I get the gummy stuff from the tape out?

By the way I did have a turban bandage on for 48 hrs but no packing in my ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay,

I wish I had some magic answer for you. I was allowed to wash my hair soon after surgery so I never had to be creative with this part. I hope you are feeling well and continue to rest.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks I think I'm doing weĺl. Just tired and a little sore

When I had my right side implanted, I wasn't allowed to wash my hair at all until follow up the next week.  This time, I could wash my hair.  I just couldn't bring myself to wash close to the head.  After I got home from post-op follow up, I washed my hair (they didn't tell me not to, and so I am going based on what they said last year).  They knew I was ready to truly wash my hair.

• HearPeers Heroes

I asked my sister today how to do this and she said you don't. She's a retired nurse so I'll just wait until Sunday to wash it, with gritting teeth .

I get sharp pains in my ear that are like a normal earache but they don't last,just hit and run. Normal healing process? I'm still swollen pretty much.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay,

It's always a good idea to contact your CI team when you have a pain that worries you. They know best. I hope you feel more comfortable soon and heal quickly.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks I called waiting for the nurse to call back

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kay,  any response from your clinic? I had the same short moments with sharp pain in my implanted ear - like piercing with a needle. My surgeon told me that this is a normal part of a healing process - nothing to worry about. It was gone after 5 or 6 episodes during the first week after my surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara, when I called my Dr he wanted to see me to make sure everything was OK. Went Thursday and all is well. I still have pain in my jaw and he said that's what's causing it and it will go away. I see him again this Thursday. I'm not getting them as much as I was. Thanks I appreciate your input.

• 5 weeks later...

Probably late on this response but as a tip for others, I used dry shampoo the first time! Instead of spraying the dry shampoo in my hair what i just did was sprayed the foam in my hands and then ran my hands through my hair without touching the scar area. 

Probably late on this response but as a tip for others, I used dry shampoo the first time! Instead of spraying the dry shampoo in my hair what i just did was sprayed the foam in my hands and then ran my hands through my hair without touching the scar area. 

I actually used the dry shampoo after my first implant as well.  The only thing is it left my hair feeling so oily.  I sprayed it on my hair, but had my surgery site well covered.

I actually used the dry shampoo after my first implant as well.  The only thing is it left my hair feeling so oily.  I sprayed it on my hair, but had my surgery site well covered.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone

i got my ear operation on Friday and I have been told not to wash my hair until tomorrow but I am too put a cup over my ear and scar. I’m not too sure if it will work because that sounds difficult.