Hello

TommyT

Hi folks, new user, be kind.

I live in NW England, had a CI about 18 months ago after many years of deterioriating hearing. Ended up with bac meningitis from the op but still rate it as probaby the best thing I have ever done.

I have a Med El implant and a Rondo processor which I love.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome! We ar a kind group, no worries. Sorry to read about your infection. Tell us a bit about how things are going for you with your CI.

I received my first CI 15 months ago and my second CI 7 months ago. I use Sonnets or Rondos. I love them both.

Really good, thanks. I was just below the threshold to qualify for years and really struggled. I'm a solicitor so made things very dificult. CI has made al the difference, even given me the impetus to go self employed. I can't use an ordinary phone (yet) but can Skype now and no longer have that dread of meeting new people in new environments - first meeting with a client who didn't know I was deaf often just left them thinking I was an idiot.

I don't fit the criteria for a second one on the NHS but would take one like a shot if it were ever offered.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great! I'm glad things are going so well for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers. I'm glad everything is working out for you. I've had my CI for 3 years now and just love it. I still have not progressed to the telephone but everyone texts. I'm just starting to enjoy music. Today while taking a ride in my car, I had the stereo blaring and could understand most of the songs. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with. This is a great and supportive group of people.

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to read about your music enjoyment Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay Sandy that's great news.

Thanks Sandy, music was a big deal for me, I was really into my sounds when I was younger, I have a huge vinyl collection. That was probably the worst thng about going deaf for me, if I knew what song it was I could just about follow it but that was it. Then, about 3 months after my switch on, I was in the kitchen washing up, we had the radio on quiet as we always do, and Does Your Mother Know by Abba came on the radio and I recognised it. I'll never forget that, neck and neck as the biggest moment of life with a CI (the other was driving the car and being able to understand the news and traffic reports on the radio for the first time. And now I listen to songs on YouTude and Apple Music and I've even cranked up the old vinyl on occasion. My musical education stopped in about 1995 but most people tell me I've missed nothing important.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oops! Welcome to Hearpeers! A little off topic here! Glad to meet you. Ask as many questions as you feel comfortable we are a very supportive group as well. So one implant. You going for another? I am hoping to get another since I have one for now. I hope to achieve balanced uniform sound. I would also like to achieve hololocation. Which means to locate where a sound is coming from.

I agree. I don't listen to new music either!! I couldn't really pick up on music for about almost ten years I am still rehabbing that. Picking up more songs regularly. Glad to meet you!!

NHS in UK only offers one to adults unless you have another disability. I have a hearing aid in other ear but not much use after the infection. I'd love another if the rules change.

• HearPeers Heroes

Totally!! In Ontario we generally only get one as adults. So the rules here aren't much different. But a person can have a severed limb reattached?? Makes no sense to me.

Hello my name is Faith and I am waiting for Dr.Peters @Dallas Ear Institute to call me for my first CI.Has anyone had him for CI Surgery?

• HearPeers Heroes

I responded in your other thread.

• HearPeers Heroes

NHS in UK only offers one to adults unless you have another disability. I have a hearing aid in other ear but not much use after the infection. I'd love another if the rules change.

Unfortunately, although many researches tell in the direction of extreme positive change when second implant is add. Its not just 1+1, much more... You got orientation, space richness etc...

Hello - and welcome, I am - the nerd of the group :P (up to the point when Hadron come home... :wacko: )

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome. I'm so glad to hear about the music side of this! I had to drop out of my music group just a short time before my implant and it was a very sad day for me. Don't worry about current music there isn't much! Most of it is not music but poetry. Can someone hum a few bars of their favorite rap song for me? :-) Peace

• HearPeers Heroes

Faith,

There are many CI users who have worked with Dr. Peters in Texas who are active in the FaceBook group called

Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group

Search for it and ask to join. Then post your question and they will chime in. It's an active, friendly group of CI users.

I hope you stick around here too. The two groups are different- both have something to offer us.

• HearPeers Heroes

Something like Eminem? :)