Asl

Arielle511

Does anyone here use ASL and is apart of the deaf and hearing world?

I studied some ASL in College, but unfortunately I did not keep up with it.

• HearPeers Heroes

I guess, at least Mary Beth use it as she is a teacher of deaf, and Adam who is, presently, overwhelmed with work... 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I am fluent in ASL and have Deaf friends who sign. Are you concerned about your plan to receive a CI and also remain a part of the Deaf community?

• HearPeers Heroes

Our friend in the Facebook group Seven and Constance are also ASL fluent.

Yes I am fluent in ASL and have Deaf friends who sign. Are you concerned about your plan to receive a CI and also remain a part of the Deaf community?

Yes most definitely. I sign and I'm going to school to be an interpreter but I don't was the CI to take me away from m deaf friends. I will still be deaf and being an interpreter will be my career but I still want to be in the deaf community for being deaf not an interpreter.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hear your struggle. Everyone's journey is different and although people tend to refer to the Deaf community as one entity, Deaf communities are also different. Some Deaf groups are very welcoming to Deaf CI users and others are not as welcoming. There is no single experience being Deaf. There are many ways of being Deaf. Have you seen the PBS documentary called, Through Deaf Eyes? I show that movie in my ASL II course at the university. It is a great compilation of the history of the Deaf community in the US over the past 200 years. There are many, many famous Deaf people in the movie and it shows all different ways of being Deaf. There is also a movie out that features a Deaf couple who decide to implant their Deaf child. Here's a link about this new movie: http://louderthanwordsfilm.com/about/

As a person with a progressive hearing loss that led to deafness, who works in the field of Deaf education, teaches ASL at our university, has friends who are Deaf, hard-of-hearing and hearing, has family members and friends who communicate in speech and sign......I can tell you that it is possible to be a Deaf CI user any way you want to be a Deaf CI user. It really is all up to you.

I wish you the best on your hearing journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Why should, Arielle, your CI take away you of your d/Deaf friends?

At the end of the day or night - we are still deaf or hard of hearing... We can also be that in any moment if we take down are implants. 

How well do you want to rehabilitate yourself? It's one way to help them but you need to have yours expectations to measure your achievements.

Why should, Arielle, your CI take away you of your d/Deaf friends?

At the end of the day or night - we are still deaf or hard of hearing... We can also be that in any moment if we take down are implants.

How well do you want to rehabilitate yourself? It's one way to help them but you need to have yours expectations to measure your achievements.

I would only take my CI off at night or if I have a headache. But I don't want my deaf friends to think anything will change.

I hear your struggle. Everyone's journey is different and although people tend to refer to the Deaf community as one entity, Deaf communities are also different. Some Deaf groups are very welcoming to Deaf CI users and others are not as welcoming. There is no single experience being Deaf. There are many ways of being Deaf. Have you seen the PBS documentary called, Through Deaf Eyes? I show that movie in my ASL II course at the university. It is a great compilation of the history of the Deaf community in the US over the past 200 years. There are many, many famous Deaf people in the movie and it shows all different ways of being Deaf. There is also a movie out that features a Deaf couple who decide to implant their Deaf child. Here's a link about this new movie: http://louderthanwordsfilm.com/about/

As a person with a progressive hearing loss that led to deafness, who works in the field of Deaf education, teaches ASL at our university, has friends who are Deaf, hard-of-hearing and hearing, has family members and friends who communicate in speech and sign......I can tell you that it is possible to be a Deaf CI user any way you want to be a Deaf CI user. It really is all up to you.

I wish you the best on your hearing journey.

I just watched the Through Deaf Eyes and it was a great documentary. Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

I would only take my CI off at night or if I have a headache. But I don't want my deaf friends to think anything will change.

Ok, but it's up to them how will they cope with your new ability - do they already know and how they reacted?

If I am right, Deaf community if react, they react already just because you have a CI. Nothing more.

I know for a community in my country...

I have always wanted to learn sign language.  I taught myself a little, but never have learn much.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have seen this documentary now - it's a beautiful story of human achievements... only, what is omitted - this hasn't happened only to deaf people: discrimination happens all the time you are different (in any way). Like white deaf discriminated black deaf people.

Being in both world (I don't hear much if it is not loud and clear without my implant) I don't understand why everyone's first thought about CI is - a cure for deafness.

I know that I have never thought about my hearing aid before, and implant now - as a cure than as a prosthesis to hear. I really want to hear without treating this as a escape method...

I guess we spent at least half of our lives, running out of our fears without a really good look at that fact. The rest of our lives - we're thinking what to do with that.

But, as at certain other part I am also different of other people (physically, at least for them) I understand how many deaf people from this movie (and more) thought about BEING different. 

What I can sum up of this movie also, lot of people started to be happy - when they decided to hear their inner voice: what makes them happy. Truth really deliberates us. 

Today I have none issue to find myself as hard of hearing or even deaf person (never crossed my mind to be normal because I could most of stuff so what equality means to me), for the other part it was struggle for function. Still not struggle for normality than for defining myself in the world which is a lot divided into a lot of predictable boxes.

I like to (day)dream and always did a lot of things just by myself - and then I find people who follow me. With those people I want to hang out - no matter what issue we're discussing....

• HearPeers Heroes

That's really beautiful Ivana!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

That's really beautiful Ivana!!

Thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here use ASL and is apart of the deaf and hearing world?

Hi,

I know this is a late post but I just found out about this site. I am deaf living in both worlds, I know ASL, I can lipread and I can speak, read and write. My family is hearing but my friends are mixed, all those friends closest to me, however, if hearing have tried to learn sign language. Until Thursday July 28, I have been an hearing aid user and not sure of the idea of a cochlear, I was actually resistant to it for several reasons, one being because some deaf friends said they hated it and it didn't work well for them, but I learned more about it and was implanted, it is going to be life changing I know, but I know it will not change who I am, I will not stop signing because I have a CI, and I will still have deaf friends, I have deaf friends from all walks of life some with CI some with HA, some with nothing. I think for most deaf people (but unfortunately not all) it is a matter of whether you stop signing because you get a CI or not, not just because you get a CI.

Good luck with your friends and your journey.

Shelby

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Shelby, welcome! I am excited for you. When is your activation?

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent said Shelby - each step is up to us. We should start with us and how it affects our presence; after that we should accept other opinions (of, course, if our acts are not intrusive). Everybody should do like that - it is not selfishness, it is an act of responsibility. Only when we can help to ourselves we can help others. And vice versa - of course - this is a true meaning of altruism. 

Hi,

Mary Beth: I go in to see my doctor on Aug 19 to look at my incision, not sure If i will have an activation session then or later? I was told my stitches are absorable so nothing to take out, I understand that the wound still has to be looked at just kinda confused as to why its 3 weeks away when normal activation is and not a week or so later, and why it only states I will be seeing the doctor and not saying anything about the aduiologist. So at this point I'm not completely sure honestly. But Im ready for the healing process to be over and for activation to begin.

Shelby

Question: does frist activation tend to hurt at all?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Shelby! Welcome to Hearpeers! No activation doesn't hurt at all. It's only a mechanical activation. To turn on the internal parts and connect the implant to the processor for the first time. (Your Sonnet or Rondo)! The the journey begins! The Audi will likely give you some programs to work with to start. Remember the begining can be very overwhelming for some. So take it slow one day at a time. Do what suits you if you can handle hours of training go for it! If you can't well then don't!! It's a very personal journey and no two journeys are the same for anyone. Look at our forum on Aural rehab you will find the information there as to where to start. Some audis will tell where to start others don't. So best of luck and keep us posted!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Activation is pain free. You just start hearing sounds. It will not hurt.

Thanks Mary Beth, I'm excited! I know its gonna take work but I'm excited anyway

• HearPeers Heroes

I sent the pdf. Let me know if you do not receive it

• HearPeers Heroes

I sent the pdf. Let me know if you do not receive it