Background noise

John Hines

Hi, I'm John, 84. Two implants installed April 25. Trying to be positive but speech recognition very poor (thank God for patient, loving wife), vertigo (makes me walk like a drunk) and constant, very disconcerting background noise (loud sizzle of bacon frying though kitchen is empty, car engines roaring on main street a mile away). Trying to moderate these problems with use of Fine Tuner with some success, but what does "Sensitivity" mean? I've had two sessions with my audiologist but not scheduled to see him again until Aug. 25.  Appreciate comments.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi John,

I'm sorry to read of the difficulties you are experiencing. As far as speech recognition, I had to practice aural rehab a lot to help my brain sort out these sounds. If you give me your email address (you can do that in a private message to me above where the envelope icon is) I will send you a PDF of helpful aural rehab apps and activities. If you search on here for aural rehab, Cara recently posted a lot of tips as well.

Do you experience the same vertigo sensations when your processors are off? If you are not sure about that, you may want to give yourself a processor free day and see if the vertigo sensations change. The reason I am mentioning that is that one time I had a vertigo reaction to my map and after we changed the map the vertigo disappeared. It's worth checking out.

If I understand correctly, your Sonnets are picking up the sound of engines that are far away? If so, many of us have had our low frequency (bass tones) lowered by our audiologists due to the sensitivity of the Sonnet mic. For me it took several adjustments with my audiologist but we did fix it and I am no longer bothered by overwhelming bass sounds.

I hope things improve soon for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I forgot to answer your question about sensitivity. Sorry.

You can think of sensitivity as changing the size O F a sound bubble around you. So a higher sensitivity reaches out and picks up sounds further away from you. A lower. Sensitivity shrinks the sound bubble and focuses in on sounds closer to you.

Our audiologists set a sensitivity number in each one of our maps. By pressing the sensitivity up button we increase our sensitivity from the set number. How far we can increase or decrease our sensitivity is also determined by the way our audiologists set up our Fine Tuner.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome to Hearpeers! It seems Mary Beth has answered your questions. I also have some vertigo and I have tinnitus which I only hear when my processor is off. I on,y have one now. Best of luck in your journey. Check out the aural rehab page of the forum. It will help with the training part and gives good info on websites.