New CI user

mcnarym1

Hi everyone,

My name is Morgan McNary and I am a brand new CI user. I have always been hard of hearing since I was 5 and diagnosed with a brain tumor. The cancer affected my right side mostly so with radiation and everything, my right ear has always had hearing damage. I have worn a hearing aid in that ear since I was 18 and a sophomore in college. Recently though I lost my hearing in my left ear as well due to an autoimmune inner ear disease. I have had it once before and it was fixed with steroids but this time steroids didn't work :( It's a very scary feeling just waking up one day and barely being able to hear the person even next to you. I tried hearing aids in both ears but it didn't help my left ear at all so in August I was approved for a Cochlear implant in the left ear. I got the surgery just a few weeks ago and had my first activation last week! Hearing things again is all new but I'm enjoying every minute of it! I am hoping over time things become clearer, I still struggle with understanding people because everything is robotic and distorted, but it's only been a little over a week so I expected that. I'm hoping to one day be able to listen to music again as music is everything to me. 

Also I had really severe tinnitus before I got the implant surgery and since the implant got activated, it's SO much quieter. I can actually sleep now almost a full 8 hours! The drs said before since I suddenly lost that hearing, my brain was basically working overtime trying to figure out what was going on. With the Cochlear Implant for now I get very tired throughout the day, is this normal at first? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi welcome to Hearpeers!! What your discribing is normal for most people. Don't be discouraged by what you hear/feel now. That doesn't meat it won't get better. I was also very tired in the beginning. It's because the brain is working overtime now to learn the new sound signals. I was able to get back to listening to music around the three month mark. But not before that. Now I can also talk on the phone again!! It's truly a blessing for me. I have only one implant for now and am hoping to get a second one. Best of luck and ask as many questions as you feel comfortable. There are quite a few awesome people on this forum that would be glad to answer any questions you have.

Hi welcome to Hearpeers!! What your discribing is normal for most people. Don't be discouraged by what you hear/feel now. That doesn't meat it won't get better. I was also very tired in the beginning. It's because the brain is working overtime now to learn the new sound signals. I was able to get back to listening to music around the three month mark. But not before that. Now I can also talk on the phone again!! It's truly a blessing for me. I have only one implant for now and am hoping to get a second one. Best of luck and ask as many questions as you feel comfortable. There are quite a few awesome people on this forum that would be glad to answer any questions you have.

I honestly cannot wait to be able to talk on the phone again. I lost my hearing this past February so I've gone almost 6 months without being able to talk to people on the phone. I feel so bad I have had to forward all of my voice mails on my cell phone to my fiance to interpret for me, I have had to have him make phone calls for me as well. On the plus side though since I haven't gone too long without hearing, I am already hearing 50% normal sounds but they just sound distant. The 2nd activation I had to take a hearing test just with the implant and not the hearing aid, I was above average for the 2nd day! It's a different transition for me and is just a lot to handle sometimes but I know it'll get easier, my doctor said patients tell her that the first two weeks are the hardest. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome!

Brain fatigue is quite a normal part of the journey! It gets better. Smile.

Check out Cara's posts on aural rehab here and also join the FaceBook group

Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group

Search for it and ask to join.

Then in the logo click on more info

Group info

Files

There you will find a document I shared on tips for aural rehab

Welcome! And I wish you the best on your hearing journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I would agree. I went at least five years without using the phone. I have slow progressive hearing loss.