New Person Here

haleydermody

Hey everyone, 

I have been on this page for a while but never made a post haha. Anyway, i had the Cochlear Implant in Australia 17 years ago when i was just a baby. I was born profoundly deaf but it wasnt noticed until i was missing milestones at 14 months old. Since having the implant at a young age, it has allowed me to have 'a normal life' so far. I go to mainstream school and will be graduating at the end of the year. Without it, i would never have gone this far in life. 

For people thinking about having one, it is worth it, it will change your life completely. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Haley Welcome I our group!! Wow I haven't met anyone that has had an implant so long!! So glad you have made a wonderful life for yourself. The hard work always pays off!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Haley,

welcome, and yes - it is a long time of experience with CI.

It`s good to hear that you are so satisfied and that results are awesome from your perspective.

What do you think about connections with Deaf society? Just curious what is the opinion from your perspective (without any subjective inputs).

Hi Ivana,

What I currently believe about having connections with the deaf society is that I know there is people who has cochlear implants like me. And it is a good thing because I have went to a school where it was only deaf children with cochlear implants there which I have made lifelong friendships. My family is aware of the deaf society and we have maybe helped a few families when their children was going through the same thing as me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Tnx Haley for your opinion - we are having a debate (a healthy on) in another topic where we discuss the other perspective.

I have moderate hearing loss conductive type. In a way I am deaf that I can not function without hearing aid, in another way I am NOT deaf because when I had hearing aid I heard pretty good.

There is a question of not respecting children rights when parents made decision regarding their children. It is a tough decision but having in mind that there is particular "hearing window" to get best odds...

Except that, where are you in Australia?

I was there before 2 years - in Brisbane. I was amazed how Australian society is thoughtful toward "hearing-loss" community. I have not see something like that wherever I went in the Europe. By the way, I am from Croatia - a tiny mini-country shaped like croissant in the neighboorhood of another shaped-like country - a boot: Italy. :)

As what my mum said about the decision she and my dad made for me, it was a race against the clock for me developmentally as I am profoundly deaf so they wanted me to speak from an early age.

So I get why there is a debate on not respecting children's rights but earlier the child gets a cochlear implant, the best chance the child has developmentally such as speech.

I'm currently living in Brisbane but I was born in Sydney to Irish parents so I have lived in Ireland as a child. In Ireland, there is not many opportunities for children to get their cochlear implants younger so they would have to get them at the age of 2 which my mum believes it's too late developmentally. Brisbane is a very accepting community as I happen to go to the same high school as three children with a cochlear implant.

• HearPeers Heroes

Huh - Brisbane seems to me an excellent city, especially the new part -south bank? I like it a lot - we participated there with a presentation on the World Congress of Audiology.

South bank is really 

Yes - exactly what I am talking about, you understand a true meaning of hearing window. Nice to hear from someone who actually is in those shoes... You have received a CI really early - 17 years ago professionals waited longer period to decide; today is different time...

Are you bilateral or have it consider ever? 

Brisbane is a great city, not too big like Sydney. Yes Southbank is my favourite part of the city!

Yes, I am bilateral which I have the implant on my left side. I used to have it on the right side but I caught MRSA which it had to moved to my good side.

• Like 1

Also I was offered to have an second implant but I was deemed a risk as I have an extensive medical history three years ago.

Yes unfortunately. Took 4 months to clear up which i lost my original implant to it and was implanted on the good side. My surgeon that did the implants said there was no point in operating because there would be a high chance of getting MRSA again.