New

Armybrat05

Hi,

My name is Shelby, I'm a college student, well I've got one more year left till my Bachelors. My mom discovered my hearing loss at the age of 4, as it was pogreesive instead of sudden it didn't cause alot of panic. I got hearing aids and have worn them for 19 years and at first I did great with them because I could hear just enough with them, plus I became skilled at lip reading, but as the years passed my hearing gets worse, and sometimes I think my lip reading skill does too but not sure. 2 summers ago I finally found out my reason for being deaf- Ushers. And that started me on my CI journey, I have been resistant to them for many many years for different reasons, but finally talked myself into getting one and I was implanted last Thurs- July 28th. My recovery seems to be going up and down, its a little confusing to me so I may have a few questions if there is someone I can talk t about the recovery and activation process? I'm glad this website is here, its good to have a community to talk to.

Shelby

• HearPeers Heroes

Not your fault. This forum has a glitch. Just alerting people to look for the active post.

Hi,

My name is Shelby, I'm a college student, well I've got one more year left till my Bachelors. My mom discovered my hearing loss at the age of 4, as it was pogreesive instead of sudden it didn't cause alot of panic. I got hearing aids and have worn them for 19 years and at first I did great with them because I could hear just enough with them, plus I became skilled at lip reading, but as the years passed my hearing gets worse, and sometimes I think my lip reading skill does too but not sure. 2 summers ago I finally found out my reason for being deaf- Ushers. And that started me on my CI journey, I have been resistant to them for many many years for different reasons, but finally talked myself into getting one and I was implanted last Thurs- July 28th. My recovery seems to be going up and down, its a little confusing to me so I may have a few questions if there is someone I can talk t about the recovery and activation process? I'm glad this website is here, its good to have a community to talk to.

Shelby

Hey Shelby! I can answer any questions you may have. I have been hard of hearing since age 5, I lost a lot of hearing in my right ear from radiation as a child I had to have for cancer so I've grown up with a hearing aid in my right ear and normal hearing in my left ear. Just this past February I got hit with an auto immune inner ear disease that attacked my left ear so rapidly that prednisone didn't help and I had no option but to get a CI. I was activated just a month ago so I'd love to answer any questions you may have!