New user

Who cares

All i can hear with my CI are sounds that remind  of r2d2 the robot in Stars Wars. Did any one else start out like that. I have been wearing 8 to 10 hours per day and reading out loud 2 to 3 hours per day. Very little soeech discrim and "brain shocks " are dying down.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Who cares

Try your best to wear your CI from wake up to bedtime except when it will get wet.  Lots of studies show a strong correlation between hours worn and success with CI.

Check out our topic on aural rehab for what has helped us train our brains.

My problem with my early mapping appointments was my own inability to articulate my issues. I would just say, "I can understand when people speak". I learned to start keeping notes of each issue as I experienced it and the environment at the time. That helped because my "Mappers" could understand from my notes more than I did. Good luck. It is a journey and not a sprint.

Good morning who cares! When first activated i heard r2d2 sounds, when getting mapped i had a short list of what sounds were overly sharp like spoons on dishes, water, potato chip bags oh my. Next mapping i didnt totally understand what was tweaked, but it was better. I still dont like listening to people eat soup or ice cream but its much more natural to me now.

Each appointment i was given more volume because the more i could understand was too low, if that makes sense. Im over a year now and cant be without my ci!!!!  I have a hearing aid in one ear and i much prefer my ci ear!!!

It seems like a slow process, but very rewarding, finding sounds ive not heard in a long time!!

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks. You just confirmed my fears and alleviated them at the same time. I was afraid I was going nuts. I have noticed improvement but know it will come over time 

6 hours ago, Andrew42 said:

My problem with my early mapping appointments was my own inability to articulate my issues. I would just say, "I can understand when people speak". I learned to start keeping notes of each issue as I experienced it and the environment at the time. That helped because my "Mappers" could understand from my notes more than I did. Good luck. It is a journey and not a sprint.

Thanks. . I will be able to explain my observations and hopefully have frank conversations with my audiologist. Iam keeping a journal so other patients can see what we go through. I am an audiologist too.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too, how are you whocares?

I was reading some very early research papers about how scientists and inventers were tryingto understand exactly how to send what amont of electric to send where, to make a "sound" for us. It made me understand problems communicating what we need to hear and how to fix each persons lack of.

It still amazes me how the whole thing works!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:56 PM, nervousdonutdragon said:

I’I am doing as well as can be expected. I can understand some people with r2d2 by itself with lip reading. The audiologist gave me a 3 to 6 month time line to expect to be doing well. I am satisfied now that I have the time line and wear r2d2 8 to 10 hours per day. I read out loud ,  talk to friends, and listen to music with r2d2 only for rehab. I simply cannot understand anything if there is other noise around with r2d2 only and it seems to interfere with conversation when I am bi-modal. I don't let that bother me and just remove it and then put it back on in those cases. I am content and not discouragged.

• Like 2

Great! Yes its slow moving at times. I had abclicks on my phone for awhile. Usually i streamed it so i could "play" anywhere. It worked really well, then for some reason it stopped working. I use angel sounds online.... love that program. You can practice al kinds of sounds.

The meludia helped with musical notes that i believe helped with all sound. Medel has a discount on this i believe.

I did hours per day in the beginning and reaped benefits like the mousey voices. Mapping helped because i identified what i heard (good and bad) some of the mapping includes sttings for auto settings too.

In the beginning, the volume is increased as one can tolerate, which does change things too.

Keep on keepin on!!!!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Who cares

If you are referring to the free year of Meludia from Med-El, that offer is not valid in the US unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Who cares

If you are referring to the free year of Meludia from Med-El, that offer is not valid in the US unfortunately.

Thanks for the info!. Now I know I did not do something wrong yhat caused me not to be able to get on it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Who cares

Meludia runs specials.  Right now anyone can try parts of the web application for free.

Can I try Meludia for free?

Yes! We want you to discover the Meludia web application, which is why we're offering free access to 25 ear training exercises in the DISCOVERY module.

To sign up, you'll need to:

Create your Meludia account  

2. Follow the tutorial

3. Once you have completed the tutorial, you will have free access to the first 25 exercises of the Discovery module