water-resistant SONNET

hearingmiracle

hi has anyone bought sonnet and feel that it is really water resistance during sweating? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes.  The Sonnet is water resistant.  Med-El has a video showing how the Sonnet was tested.  It's quite impressive.  Check out the website or YouTube channel.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Sonnet is water-resistant indeed BUT, please, remind that its designation of water-proofness is IP 54 like it is in the commercial. This means that it handles splashes without plastic cover - WaterWear. For anything more - you need the WaterWear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is a nice video from the C-Net which explain the difference between water-proofness, water-resistance and numbers:

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hearingmiracle

I am very active, I run ultramarathons, martial arts, Crossfit......I have worn the sonnets during some very intense workouts in 93+ degree F weather and never had any issues what so ever. I work outside a lot and have been caught in light rain and again had no problems. Of course as soon as I came inside or finished, put the processors in the dry and store after wiping them down 

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 8/17/2016 at 2:08 PM, Ivana Marinac said:

The Sonnet is water-resistant indeed BUT, please, remind that its designation of water-proofness is IP 54 like it is in the commercial. This means that it handles splashes without plastic cover - WaterWear. For anything more - you need the WaterWear.

See this blog post from MedEl too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.medel.com/water-resistant-waterproof-cochlear-implant/amp/

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup.  Cool testing.  One thing to keep in mind with any processor and water resistance is that just because the processor can handle being exposed to water to a certain degree based on its rating level, it doesn’t mean that things will sound terrific.  Some people have reported a decrease in sound quality due to moisture on the mic covers or in the mic covers.  

I like that I can walk in light rain or snow without any worries.  I love using the waterwear covers on my Rondos in the ocean and pool.  Simply fabulous to hear while in the water.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I’ve never tried it but wonder why I need to hear in the water while swimming?

• HearPeers Heroes

Well it’s just something that most of us haven’t done in so long it’s neat to experience. Plus you won’t have to wait till your all dry to hear again. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Smile.  Well.....I enjoy listening to the waves in the ocean and having conversations with my family and friends too.  Pool parties are so much more fun now that I can hear while in the pool and join in.  I also enjoy listening to music while in the pool.

I can’t wait to hear humpback whales singing while snorkeling.  Last time (before my CIs) I felt their songs as vibrations.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Funny you ask that tonight.  We are watching The Voice and two performers just sang Burning House.  I commented that it is on the Grammy 2016 Album.  I know that album inside and out because it was the FIRST album that I learned the songs and could sing along just by repeated listening.  I never looked at the lyrics.  First time doing that in decades!  That album will forever bring a smile to my heart.

I listened to music all along but did not expect it to sound good.  I just listened and paid attention to the parts that were accessible to me at the moment.....percussion, high frequency instruments, lyrics.  For my right side (first CI) music revealed itself in stages, like a gift that is unwrapped slowly.  Even when I was understanding lyrics, at first they did not sound good.  A real breakthrough happened at about the 3-4 month point.  Music started sounding much better week by week after then.

Going bilateral was a big boost in musical pitch.  Much easier to sing along in the correct key.

I love music, all kinds, and I love playing the piano again.  I enjoy live musical concerts and Broadway musical shows.  My recent musical fascination is with the musical Hamilton (hip hop and rap).  Absolutely fabulous!  I can’t wait to see it.

My left CI (second side) loved music before it loved speech.  Go figure.  CI journeys are so unique, even two sides for the same person.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 3/26/2018 at 9:20 PM, Jewel said:

@Mary Bethhow long was it before you were able to appreciate music with your CIs? 

@Jewel I made it a point to listen to music day one after my first implant was activated. The sounds I heard were like pinball machine boinks, boops, and such - but because I knew the song those sounds "fit" in a way with the song. As days progressed it all got better and better. It was interesting for me to hear real clear low Bass tones like I'd never heard before in my life. I play Bass  guitar in Rock, Jazz, and Blues, so I heave a real appreciation to hear the bottom end clearly. I am able to hear it all too, like the ping of tapping on a cymbal - every instrument I can hear and differentiate from others. I love it.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I had the same experience with music as Mary Beth. I had to try hard a listen. I focused on sings I knew. But I had to relearn the lyrics as I never knew the right ones! Plus it took repetition to get it right! It took me till the three-four month mark where it started sounding good and clear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Did any of you find that listening to music helped you during the learning process shortly after activation?  I have a USB port in my car and could use my commute for that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Active listening to anything helps during the learning process......car radio, music, talk radio, speech, phone, environmental sounds, sounds around your home......everything.

In the very beginning, I listened to the car radio on commutes....sometimes music and sometimes speech and just tried to understand parts of it at first.

• Like 1