Standard Array, FLEXSOFT, and FLEXEAS

hearingmiracle

• HearPeers Heroes

Preserving residual hearing also depends on surgical technique.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeap! - It depends a lot of surgeon's care while drilling a cochleostomy, an entrance into the cochlea. Lower frequencies are hurt because the cells which represent it are in the basal turn of the cochlea, and what is even more important these cells suffer last.

1. mechanical damage during electrode insertion (fractures of the osseous spiral lamina, disruption of the basilar membrane, tearing of the lateral spiral ligament, and leakage of traumatized blood vessels),
  2. shock waves in the perilymph fluid due to implantation, 
  3. acoustic trauma due to drilling, 
  4. loss of perilymph and disruption of inner ear fluid homeostasis, 
  5. potential bacterial infection, 
  6. secondary intracochlear fibrous tissue formation.

• HearPeers Heroes

I thought low frequencies were in the apex?

5 hours ago, Ivana Marinac said:

Yeap! - It depends a lot of surgeon's care while drilling a cochleostomy, an entrance into the cochlea. Lower frequencies are hurt because the cells which represent it are in the basal turn of the cochlea, and what is even more important these cells suffer last.

1. mechanical damage during electrode insertion (fractures of the osseous spiral lamina, disruption of the basilar membrane, tearing of the lateral spiral ligament, and leakage of traumatized blood vessels),
  2. shock waves in the perilymph fluid due to implantation, 
  3. acoustic trauma due to drilling, 
  4. loss of perilymph and disruption of inner ear fluid homeostasis, 
  5. potential bacterial infection, 
  6. secondary intracochlear fibrous tissue formation.

Seem like The damage of cochlear is so severe, Does it mean that future technology such as gene therapy or totally implantable cochlear is not possible ?

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, hearingmiracle said:

Seem like The damage of cochlear is so severe, Does it mean that future technology such as gene therapy or totally implantable cochlear is not possible ?

If there are pathomorphological defects possibly no - but never say never. On the other hand, stem cells have enormous potential, although - more likely it is to revive dead hearing hair-cells than whole parts of the organ like parts of or even - whole cochlea...

On the other hand, you should always bear in mind what kind of irreparable damage suffers a brain without neural stimulation of hearing - its pathways literally disappear day by day. In this detail, lies the truth of how well it`s possible to (re)habilitate it, and on the end - us.

I heard from doctor say he will use a longer electrode to insert to cochlear as he feels that progressive hearing loss. A longer electrode could take advantage of full set pitch Low and high frequency .  As for Residual hearing it will be gone later in life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, the theory behind loosing of the residual hearing is insufficient support naturally. But, the electrode of the CI will take over the job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hearingmiracle 

peach of the electrode array that Medel produces is produced in a way as to limit any damage to the cochlea and residual hearing better than anyone on the market at this time. This is due to the specific design of the. Array itself. That being said, the skill of the surgeon has a lot to do with it. I could have the best guitar in the world but it would do me no good if I didn't know how to play it. 

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry, that is supposed to start with EACH and not peach. :blink:

i think faster than my fingers type