Will cochlear implantee eligible for future gene therapy?

hearingmiracle

Hi 

i spoke to my doctor. He says the damage to cochlear is severe. It seems like gene therapy may not work for cochlear implantee since the structure of cochlear is damage forever? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so thankful for the hearing that my CIs have given me.  I expect and hope that future advancements in CIs as well as other treatments for deafness will continue to be developed.  The hearing I enjoy everyday is thanks to those who went before me and participated in research.  I am paying it forward by also participating in research so that more advancements can be made.

You will know when the timing is right for you.  Best of luck.

Hi Mary, I feel the same way. The technology keep on changing yes I do think one day there isn't a need  to wear external device. It is also true What matters now is how we can benefit from current technology and move on. I met a kid who had a cochlear impact, I spoke to him at 1 metre distance , he converse very well I was very amazing clear and the kid spoke with ease. Thanks to people who gave CI a chance to change their live!

• HearPeers Heroes

Can you imagine how I felt as a junior resident when I saw a girl with a CI whispering to hers dad`s ear which I couldn`t?

I was just on the start of discovering this fascinating world - Alice in the Wonderland....^_^

What your surgeon has been talking about is distant future - it is a great question what will not be able to reconstruct in the future - a distant one. But, it is better to focus now at the present - experienced CI users testify that they even do not see a difference. It is possible. There are people who hear better and those who can not here everything although there is nothing wrong with their hearing... It`s a matter of focus. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I have read that med el tries it's hardest to preserve the cochlea as much as possible because of future advancements. Such as stem cell therapy for hair cell regeneration. Which will render a CI obsolete. So I appreciate hearing that from med el. 

• HearPeers Heroes
7 hours ago, Newhearing 2015 said:

I have read that med el tries it's hardest to preserve the cochlea as much as possible because of future advancements. Such as stem cell therapy for hair cell regeneration. Which will render a CI obsolete. So I appreciate hearing that from med el. 

Well, everybody try to be as quiet as can be if we had to let the elephant into the glass room...

Med-El co-operates in the research programs of future bio-engineering of hearing celks especially but - there is still a long way in front all of us...

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El designs electrode arrays to reduce the trauma to the cochlea.  Surgical skill and the condition of our cochlea which impacts how the actual surgery proceeds are important factors for hearing preservation as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I just had to add that because I read it somewhere in here or in a hand book written by med el. 

• HearPeers Heroes
5 hours ago, Newhearing 2015 said:

Yes I just had to add that because I read it somewhere in here or in a hand book written by med el. 

It's good to repeat this - here and there, so the people can bear it in their mind. They usually think that an array demolish everything in front of it like some hurricane...

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, you are correct. From the research I have conducted, this seemed and still is very important to Medel to preserve any residual hearing. To be one of the pioneers with this mindset is pretty incredible.

gene therapy has been talked about for many years. As far as I know now, it is many years from coming close to a reality. I don't understand the rationale to wanting to wait that long for something that isn't guaranteed but to each his own

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with you Adam. I'm focused on the here and now not 10 or 20 years or more from now. So Sonnet it is and I LOVE IT!! 

My Daughter is going for full length electrode array insertion into cochlear. This is recommended by my doctor. He say that even though my Daughter has residual hearing loss , it is progressing hearing loss. In future , the hearing may drop further . So a full length will help her hear better in Low frequency as well . A full length will mean that she will lose all residual hearing. 

The doctor say using short electrode array will not help her .

Has anyone had full length electrode array inserted into cochlear yet can still have same level of residual hearing after many years ???? 

I saw some ppl in forum mention that even though they had some residual hearing after CI surgery. It will continue to drop further after awhile .

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a flex28 and it works well for me. Mary Beth has a flex31 on one ear . She is doing fantastic!! I have gained a teeny-tiny amount of residual hearing back actually. So don't worry. What will be will be!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara

I do not have that electrode.

I have medium 24 and flex 28.

I did not have residual hearing worth saving.

• HearPeers Heroes

Can't remember off the top of my head which array I have. I do have complete cochlear coverage. I didn't really have any residual hearing to worry about.

Hi Kara, Adam and Mary, 

All of you are very positive. I guess that is the trade off residual for having full range of hearing with CI .

• HearPeers Heroes
On September 20, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Mary Beth said:

Kara

I do not have that electrode.

I have medium 24 and flex 28.

I did not have residual hearing worth saving.

Oops sorry Mary Beth. I mixed it up with someone else then! Lol 

also so with regards to residual hearing I don't care if it goes. I can hear without it. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 20/09/2016 at 1:59 AM, Adam said:

Ivana, you are correct. From the research I have conducted, this seemed and still is very important to Medel to preserve any residual hearing. To be one of the pioneers with this mindset is pretty incredible.

gene therapy has been talked about for many years. As far as I know now, it is many years from coming close to a reality. I don't understand the rationale to wanting to wait that long for something that isn't guaranteed but to each his own

I would loose my licence Adam, if I haven't been 100% correct. :P

That being said - of course Med-EL try to preserve as much it is possible because it eases the results of the rehabilitation also. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 20/09/2016 at 4:48 AM, hearingmiracle said:

My Daughter is going for full length electrode array insertion into cochlear. This is recommended by my doctor. He say that even though my Daughter has residual hearing loss , it is progressing hearing loss. In future , the hearing may drop further . So a full length will help her hear better in Low frequency as well . A full length will mean that she will lose all residual hearing. 

The doctor say using short electrode array will not help her .

This is not quite true - saving a residual hearing is a set of steps not just one. Putting the longest array doesn't mean it will ruin it. Also, as the loss is progressive the residual hearing would eventually be lost inevitably so - don't worry. During this phase, an electrode will connect directly with an auditory nerve - so it will be not important more. 

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Alessandro

this has been studied for years now. I know some deaf people that are not getting a CI and waiting for this therapy. This type of therapy is not even remotely close to becoming a reality yet. It is a very interesting concept but I don't know that I would be willing to wait as there is no guarantee that it will even work. 

With my CIs I can function totally fine in the hearing world. The only issue is I can't hear when I go to bed. 

Interesting nonetheless 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Goodmorning everyone.

I found important news on the internet. It relates to an atraumatic electrode with a substance that repairs the cochlear tissue after insertion.

Read here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4126352/Can-ear-implant-restore-hearing-thousands-people.html

Since my right ear has an old IC Clarion that has destroyed the cochlear walls, I would like the new Medel electrodes to fix (repair) the cochlear tissue.

I do not know how long it will take to formalize this experiment, according to you it is possible that it will arrive early and that it is worth waiting for before of a replanting?

• HearPeers Heroes

Alessandro, my understanding is that this option with an electrode releasing steroids can help to preserve the residual hearing after surgery by diminishing the adverse effects of the trauma we get during CI surgery. Unfortunately, it does not to restore the tissues damaged before surgery. But if to speak about hearing preservation, I believe this method is more effective and safe than taking those hormones orally.