Simultaneous CI or Sequential CI

hearingmiracle

Dear all,

as a parent I would want my child age 2 who had sever to profound loss not to suffer much pain in Ci surgery . Doctor advise to do sequential CI. I felt simultaneous CI would relieve my daughter the pain of going through the surgery twice. However she might have difficulties  sleeping with either side due to surgery pain in both ear.

doctor also say that it takes 1 month to activate CI. So during this one month of waiting, if she couldn't hear anything since both CI were on her ear. Imagine there is no input sound to the brain for one month. It feel terrible. 

I am really confused to do simultaneous or sequential CI.

my doctor wants me to consider continue with hearing aid for another 3 month before going for CI..... 

But I really feel a hearing aid for severe to profound hearing loss won't help her in high frequency tones....

• HearPeers Heroes

There are some CI surgeons who prefer to do sequential CIs and others who prefer to do simultaneous CIs on children.  I know a few adults who had simultaneous and many adults who had sequential.  Talk with your child's surgeon and have the surgeon explain why she/he prefers sequential implantation for your child.  I wish your child the very best.

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, hearingmiracle said:

Dear all,

as a parent I would want my child age 2 who had sever to profound loss not to suffer much pain in Ci surgery . Doctor advise to do sequential CI. I felt simultaneous CI would relieve my daughter the pain of going through the surgery twice. However she might have difficulties  sleeping with either side due to surgery pain in both ear.

doctor also say that it takes 1 month to activate CI. So during this one month of waiting, if she couldn't hear anything since both CI were on her ear. Imagine there is no input sound to the brain for one month. It feel terrible. 

I am really confused to do simultaneous or sequential CI.

my doctor wants me to consider continue with hearing aid for another 3 month before going for CI..... 

But I really feel a hearing aid for severe to profound hearing loss won't help her in high frequency tones....

Well... I would try to think about practical reasons not so much about the subjective one.

At first, analgesics will resolve if and when pain appears.

Secondly, you should directly ask your surgeon if there is a chance to have simultaneous rather than sequential implantation and if not - why not. Some of them practice it as their style, some feel that parents can not handle it...

Regarding the hearing input... Well, a month or less - it is not "to be or not to be" step, it is more: ok, from now to on, implants should be worn daily. Your child has a hearing loss which not a single hearing aid can resolve efficiently - if it did, they wouldn`t need a CI`s. It is not life or death situation...

Well, please read a text from Rene Gifford I have put yesterday - the indications progressed in the field which we didn`t consider before as a border-line for implantation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Children are great - they survive a lot with just a smile on their faces while being in their parent`s lap... ;)

Think about, how will you handle a situation. Not because you would think how you will feel, than your mood will reflect to your child`s even if you don`t - they see a difference...