Trying to decide whether to have implant

WanttohearinVA

Hello all, I just found this web site and need a lot of advice/feedback. I was born with a severe hearing loss in high frequencies (my low frequencies were at normal levels). I grew up in the 1960s and 70s and the technology for hearing aids wasn’t good, so I didn't start wearing them until I was in my mid-twenties. Now, 30 years later, I’m at the point in my life where my hearing is starting to slip more, including a bit in the low frequencies. For the first time I’m a candidate for a cochlear hybrid implant, for my right ear. I still function well, talk on the phone, etc. but definitely struggle in restaurants, parties, the theatre, etc. I'm very nervous about having an implant because I don't want to lose my residual hearing, and am worried about the potential side effects of the surgery, especially facial paralysis and taste buds being affected. That's just for starters! It sounds like a lot to go through, and I don't want to do it unless I'm convinced it's going to be more than worth it. I'd really like to connect with people who have a similar hearing loss and find out about their experiences. Thanks so much!

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El's hybrid system is the Sonnet EAS.  I do not think it is available yet in the US.  I know several people who have it but they received them in Canada.  They are active in a FaceBook group called Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group.  You can search for it and ask to join and then post there for some firsthand feedback.  One woman is a new implantee and one man has had his for awhile and loves it.

if you google, Renee Gifford at Vanderbilt you will find a lot of information that she has written about combined CI and acoustic hearing in the same ear.  She reports on CI users who also use an ITE hearing aid on the same side.  She has research funding that provided the hearing aids to CI users.

best of luck to you.

Thanks Mary Beth. The brand of hybrid I would be getting is Cochlear. It's the only option for hybrid at this time (in the US). I'll follow up on your suggestions, and also hope to hear from others here.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are welcome to stick around and share your CI journey with us here.  Since this is a Med-El forum, you will not find people who have experience with Cochlear's hybrid system here.  I do not know anyone who uses that system to refer you to.  I wish you the best.

Oh I didn't realize that. I don't think there was anything that said that when I signed up? (about it being Med-El)

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... There are parts which you can read on the forum: about hearing preservation techniques and we can discuss a little bit about your hearing level. 

This is Med-El's web-forum but we welcome everybody ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Everyone is welcome here.  This is Med-El's forum though so you will find lots of people here who use Med-El implants.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome to Hearpeeers!! We do welcome all people so don't be discouraged by that. I have a CI not hybrid and was implanted in December of last year. It is the best thing I ever did. I'm not one to shy from surgery as you will see there are many of us who go through lots of surgeries. Please feel free to ask as many questions an we will do our best to answer. 

• HearPeers Heroes

At least, although companies are not same, further path is quite similar for any implantee - the rehabilitation struggle. We have here pretty awesome tips.

Or like this: 

dark-side.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the forum wantohearinva

please let us know how you progress with your journey

adam

Thank you for your interest! I'm meeting with the surgeon on Monday. I'll have a better feel after that for whether I want to move forward or not (at least I hope I will). I'm leaning towards doing it but have some concerns I want him to address regarding side effects, and I'm also double checking my insurance coverage.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck!! This journey is truly a wild ride!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best!  Good luck at your appointment.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep my fingers crossed that you'll get all the answers you need... Deciding is not an easy step...