Did CI change your life?

hearingmiracle

Hi anyone willing to share their experience ? Did CI change your life ? E.g Socially , confidence, positiveness, etc?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Hearingmiracle,

we already have our story sections so, please, read as much as you can. These stories are not longitudinal in a way that you got all suddenly but yet - people felt better because their ability to hear increased each day. Each day, you are exploring - a new world.

I am not a CI implantee, so I will not write here about myself but I can definitely write how finding out the way people explore their border were - a life-challenging experience for me. I started to hang on with these people sharing all the good and the bad, participate in the initiative of organizing social and practical life advices. 

• HearPeers Heroes

And we are so glad you hung around Ivana!

• HearPeers Heroes

Perfectly put Ivana!! My story in in Newhearing 2015. Please feel free to read!! 

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

• HearPeers Heroes

5 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

Perfectly put Ivana!! My story in in Newhearing 2015. Please feel free to read!!

• HearPeers Heroes

5 hours ago, Kara of Canada said:

Tnx girls! :)

Adam was my Hearing Buddy although neither he or me didn't know how it will look like... :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! Guess you both got through as bionic buddies!! 

• Like 1

Thanks I have read the blog it is really interesting to see real person photo and read about their experiences. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I really like personal stories here because, these stories are like novels. Guest articles are like movie - with gaps of breaking points. I like to read about what people did to move on...

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm in the Blog as well Marybeth.

in short, you're darn right it changed my life. Needless to say for the better. I would venture to guess that many will give a yes to that question but each person might describe a slightly different way it has affected them

Yes! So my story is a bit unique, everyone's is. I had cancer as a child and therefore have always had issues with hearing due to the amount of radiation I had to have. Hearing in my right ear has always been very low since the tumor was wrapped around my brainstem and affected mostly my right side. I have struggled very little on the left ear. I have had an auto immune inner ear disease before where I just wake up one day and can barely hear anything. It was able to be treated with meds for a week. In February of this year, I woke up one day and my hearing was gone in my left ear. I hated it because I had just gotten engaged in December and the auto immune disease kicked in 2 days before I started my new job.

Long story short CI has saved my life. I am so thankful for it. In the 6 months I went with the autoimmune disease before getting surgery, I got severely depressed, gained a lot of weight, hated my life/everything. I even told my fiance he should leave because I was so miserable and he shouldn't have to deal with something like me. I got activated just a little over a month ago and already my life has changed entirely. I'm my weird dancing crazy singing self again and everyday is a new experience with sounds and music. I'm even hearing sounds I was never able to hear even before the auto immune disease! I just got the ok to put my hearing aid back in my right ear and that's even helped too. I know the auto immune disease is starting to attack my right ear but I'm taking that one day at a time. I'm so thankful for my doctors at Johns Hopkins and the CI I got. I'm actually even going to go see Wicked the musical next weekend! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well definitely enjoy the show!! Tell about your experience after!! 

It has definitely changed my life!  I am hearing better, and my speech is improving in the process (at least someone told me that.  They told me my voice sounds different these days and they believe it's actually from being able to hear better).  I am able to carry on conversations even in loud surroundings (example: restaurants).  I am improving on hearing on the phone (though, I still have a way to go, I'm getting there).  It's been a positive journey.  I do believe it has played a role of me getting over some of my shyness.  At my new job, I have not remained quiet like I normally would - I think that in part it is because I can hear well enough not to fear struggling to understand folks (another part is because it's with the same company I've been with for a number of years...just different folks in a new location).  

• Like 2

Thanks for all for sharing. It is encouraging for us to know how cochlear implant has helped people in building their confidence and allowing hearing sound and words much easier. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! I absolutely love my sonnet. Getting sick of my ha doesn't do much of anything. 

Hi Kara, how long is the duration of your 1st activation of implant after surgery ? 1 month? Or 3weeks.

• HearPeers Heroes

That is so awesome. Very glad to hear you are making progress. You haven't seen anything yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

The length of time from surgery to activation varies from Doctor to to toe and patient to patient. From what I've seen, 3 to 4 weeks seems to be the "usual" amount of time. I have heard of patients being activated after a week. I had to wait 6 weeks after my first to make sure the swelling had gone down and everything was healed.

the reason you wait is to allow the tissue to heal and the swelling to go down. The more swelling, the further the coil is from the implant. Using too strong of a magnet can potentially damage the skin flap. After about 4 weeks, a majority of swelling has gone down enough to move forward with activation. Also with the coil being further from the implant can affect the map as you won't hear at optimal. As the coil gets closer to the implant with reduction in swelling, things can seem louder which might require an extra map to adjust. 

I had to wait a little longer due to some other health issues