Will tinnitus develop after CI surgery?

hearingmiracle

Hi may I know will tinnitus develop after CI surgery? Assuming the person doesn't have any history of tinnitus before. 

• HearPeers Heroes

There is no way to tell who will or won't get tinnitus. I had some tinitus before surgery but it was way worse after for about the first month. After activation it got better. 

Like Kara said, there's really no way of knowing if it will develop. For me, I had it very bad before I had the surgery, due to sensorineural hearing loss. Once I got the surgery it got a little bit better but at that point I was so used to it. It may develop after surgery because you're messing with those nerves and if you make them "mad" then tinnitus can result. After my activation though, my tinnitus got SO much better. Today was the first day I was able to put my hearing aid back in my other ear and combined with the CI, I barely notice tinnitus. I hope you don't develop it if you don't have it already, but if you do get it from the surgery, stay calm! I can assure you that it will improve with the activation of the implant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I agree 

it is different from person to person. Some might have it when they wake from surgery, some don't. I had it when I woke up with my first implant and it settled down within a day or two. I did not have this problem when I got my second implant. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeap - statistically, it's hard to say. 

There are theories about 2 types of tinnitus: one is central because of change in the hearing neuro-pathways; the second is a peripheral which depends on the status of hearing stimulation...

• 6 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

My first CI surgery was last year. The only tinnitus I experience in and out of shower when I move my right ear to wash or dry my ear. Very high pitch

second CI surgery was yesterday and i noticed a lower pitch sound but it went away after a nap. weird

• HearPeers Heroes

I developed Tinnitus after surgery. I had no it before. Surgeon said me probably reduce it with time. Some times are really bad at end of day. Others they don't appear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin, 

have you noticed it decrease any over time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam, It's very random. Sometimes begin in the morning, other times in the afternoom/evening. Actually I don't know what or why are generated. :wacko:.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam, this is Adam ?

Every person is different. Some have tinnitus and some don't after surgery. There is really no telling, it all depends on your brain.

• 2 months later...

I realize this is anecdotal, but I started taking 400 mg of magnesium for my Dupuytren's and Ledderhose disease and I no longer have tinnitus at all.  As I said, may be coincedental, but I am enjoying no crickets in my ear!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 4/3/2017 at 8:07 PM, Adam said:

Hi Adam, this is Adam ?

Every person is different. Some have tinnitus and some don't after surgery. There is really no telling, it all depends on your brain.

It’s interesting to me that nearly  2 weeks post surgery and I am experiencing tinutus like Sounds in the newly implanted ear.

sounds are random throughout the day and only last a few seconds. This began a few days ago. 

Very strage how the brain deals with things. It is not overwhelming at all, I just find it interesting that it occurs 

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine was a constant droning noise for the first month. After activation it got a lot better. Now I only have it at night but not nearly as bad. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 3/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, Jdashiell said:

It’s interesting to me that nearly  2 weeks post surgery and I am experiencing tinutus like Sounds in the newly implanted ear.

sounds are random throughout the day and only last a few seconds. This began a few days ago. 

Very strage how the brain deals with things. It is not overwhelming at all, I just find it interesting that it occurs 

Here I am 3 weeks post implant and tinnitus sounds remain but much less amplification (softer) and a few seconds long between occurances. Seems like it might be fading away. Two more weeks to go to activation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

As a follow up, I never had any issues with my first implant (Right side)

i am anxious to see how I perform once I am  activated on the left side now that I am finally implanted correctly. It’s been a looong wait.

looking forward to hearing bilaterally.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 4/3/2018 at 10:24 PM, Jewel said:

Hey @Jdashiell, the wait for activation is almost over! 

Most often hearing is not perfect at the first activation. It takes some time for the brain to get accustomed to this new way of hearing. The direct electric stimulation is very different from acoustic waves coming in through the ear canal and migrating to the inner ear before the sounds are interpreted in the brain. 

Everyone deals with it differently. Just wait it’s pretty amazing when it all clicks in and you are hearing a new.

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s totally amazing. It is a total life changer!