FineTuner

John Hines

My audiologist introduced three different "programs" for me on my last visit. He said listen with each one (as selected on my FineTuner)  and let me know which you find is best for you. I have since tried to manipulate my FineTuner to try each "program," and can tell no difference between them. Also I cannot cannot increase nor decrease the volume I am getting with my Rondos. I pump up the volume, pump down the volume, change programs--it all sounds exactly the same. I'm now wondering if the FineTuner has to be "paired" or something with my implants. Any thoughts?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Fine Tuner and the processors need to be synced.  There are directions in the manual on how to do that.  Basically, you turn your processor off.  Place your processor on the front lower section of the Fine Tuner (it is magnetic and will attract your Rondo or your coil).  While your processor is on the Fine Tuner, turn your processor back on.  The Fine Tuner lights will flash.

Wow! That's amazing. I've been trying to use the Finetuner without success now for about 4 months.

OK, got the manual out and, yes, I see "How to configure your Finetuner" on page 10. Thank you!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Also, you can raise and lower the sensitivity setting but these changes are subtle and can be hard to notice.

you can check the Medel site for a video to walk you through pairing the processor as well as how to use it. Your manual is a good resource as well.

if your default program is #1 and you change to another program, if you turn off your processor for any reason, it will automatically return to your primary program when turned back on.

Thank you, Adam. Yes, on my last visit to audiologist he told me to choose which of three programs was working best for me, but I'm having a lot of trouble sensing differences. Will keep trying. Yesterday received the QLINKTV hardware that I'd ordered. We finally figured out how to install it and use it along with my Quatro, but when I turn it on and watch tv with my wife I'm getting sound that's not in sync with what she is getting and the tv is projecting. Very distracting and not helpful. I know the QLINK instructions noted that the sound through the Quatro would be a millisecond behind, but what I'm getting is pretty much jibberish. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

• HearPeers Heroes

John,

another option albeit a little more expensive, is an FM system. They are superior in my opinion as a whole to telecoil systems as far as clarity,range.... Obviously there are exceptions. I am not a hearing care professional, this is just my opinion. I have an FM system that I use if needed so  I have not tried the Quattro. My Audi advised me to stay with the fm so that's what I did. 

Mad far as the mappings. Keep a notebook with you. Try to take as detailed notes as possible. Room had high ceilings, a lot of metal, men sounded echoey, women tinny. Keep track of what environment you are in and be specific as well as to what things sound like. The more detailed info you can bring with you, the easier it will be for your Audi to fine tune your maps. Also write down any questions you have as well. Early on for me, I would kick myself for not remembering to ask a certain question, or give some info that might really be helpful. 

Hope this helps

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

You also are early on in the game. Be patient. I know it can be frustrating. Try to remember that your brain is having to relearn how to hear. It is going to take some time. I can't really answer your question about the delay with the Quattro as I don't use it. Maybe Mary Beth can shed some light on that. 

My audi really discouraged me from using my DAI  cables or anything that would make things too easy for me, so to speak. She wanted me to get my brain used to working on its own. Each Audi has their own style. 

• HearPeers Heroes

When I turn off my processor and turn it back on it goes into whichever program and whichever volume and sensitivity settings I had last used.  It will however always start up in M setting even if powered off in MT or T.