Tv and cinema

hearingmiracle

Hi I have heard someone wearing CI says that usually the clarity of tv sound is very hard to comprehend, is it true ? I mean just purely listening In front of Tv.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Like anything with a CI  for many it takes practice to get your brain used to it. For me it sounds pretty good. Some voices take some getting used to as they have accents or low/high range . 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Some people enjoy listening to TV with their implants (like me).  Others prefer to connect their TV to assistive listening devices that send the sound to their processors.  Check out the Hands On Hearing website for lots of options.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been working on this since I was activated in July. I have trouble with clarity of any electronic devices -TV, microphones, radio etc. I notice that the TV is getting clearer and I am understanding some words. I still have miles to go but the improvement is encouraging.  

Thanks All.

i am worried because my Friend say some announcement at school and airport she couldn't comprehend, she been wearing CI for 18 years. 

• HearPeers Heroes

CIs are amazing but there may always be certain things that remain challenging to hear.  I hear the airport announcements fine and most school PA announcements are fine too but it can vary depending on the quality of the PA System and the clarity of the person speaking.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, a conductive hearing loss which I have is much easier from rehabilitative aspects but I do not understand everything - don`t think about what you can, think about what you will be able after the implantation...

From the scientific angle, scientists still can not explain why certain implantees progress better. Present theories and researches explain it as the consequence of the neural rewiring. Different people, different neural pathway and functioning of the auditory cortex.

7 hours ago, hearingmiracle said:

Thanks All.

i am worried because my Friend say some announcement at school and airport she couldn't comprehend, she been wearing CI for 18 years. 

I wouldn't be too worried honestly. It just takes time, even after awhile. At least the MedEl person I was talking to before my CI surgery told me that. I got activated in July and can already understand about 80% of things but it's those specific pitches that are so hard. I went to go see Wicked the musical last weekend and I could understand everything except when Glinda was singing popular, way too high pitched. That could be why your friend had issues, because it wasn't just a voice but the voice had to travel through the intercom and you have all those people in the airport making noises at various pitches too. I still have to watch the tv with captions on for the same reason, some pitches I just can't understand yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

It took me a little while before I didn't have a challenge with anything electronic. Mics, radio, PA systems. It was weird. I could talk to somebody in a room and understand clear as day. They could walk over to a mic and say the same thing and it wouldn't be nearly as clear. I think each person has challenges in different environments where others do not. You just need to keep practicing and figure out how to adapt until your brain catches up.