New Bonebridge User

storm12

Hi,

I'm Kylie and I had my bonebridge implant surgery on the left side in mid June this year, switch on was early July. My surgery wasn't exactly straight forward due to previous surgeries on the same ear. When I was 9 I had a cholesteatoma removed which destroyed my middle ear, obviously causing a moderate to profound conductive hearing loss. My sensorineural hearing is fine, only down very slightly at  4000kH (30dB). I've had a bit of the bone behind my ear removed too so the implant had to be 'built up'. I had a lot of pain and bruising after surgery because the skin had to be pulled so tight due to previous scarring (they had already cut the same line twice before). I hope that nothing ever goes wrong with the implant because I'm not sure they'll be able to do it again. I absolutely love the samba processor, love the natural sound and clarity that I wasn't getting with my previous hearing aid. I still wear an ordinary hearing aid in my right ear which has a mild to moderate conductive loss. I haven't had a cholesteatoma in my right ear though. My ear problems were caused by the eustacian tubes not working properly due to being born with a unilateral cleft lip and palate (on the Left, hence the issues being worse on the Left).

Anyway, not really sure what else to say about myself other than being a wife to an understanding husband and mother to 2 beautiful girls. Neither of my girls had a cleft lip or palate, nor do they have hearing issues. I feel very lucky.

I look forward to being a part of this fabulous community!

Thanks for reading

Kylie xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kylie and welcome 

I'm a CI user but wanted to welcome you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kylie 

welcome to hearpeers. I had a cholesteatoma which did a number on my ear as well. My hearing was already gone at that point. I have bilateral CIs which I've had for 5 years now.

this is a great group of folks here all in different stages of their hearing journey. 

Looking forward to getting to know you. Post as often or as little as you would like

your bionic buddy,

adam

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, storm12 said:

Hi,

I'm Kylie and I had my bonebridge implant surgery on the left side in mid June this year, switch on was early July. My surgery wasn't exactly straight forward due to previous surgeries on the same ear. When I was 9 I had a cholesteatoma removed which destroyed my middle ear, obviously causing a moderate to profound conductive hearing loss. My sensorineural hearing is fine, only down very slightly at  4000kH (30dB). I've had a bit of the bone behind my ear removed too so the implant had to be 'built up'. I had a lot of pain and bruising after surgery because the skin had to be pulled so tight due to previous scarring (they had already cut the same line twice before). I hope that nothing ever goes wrong with the implant because I'm not sure they'll be able to do it again. I absolutely love the samba processor, love the natural sound and clarity that I wasn't getting with my previous hearing aid. I still wear an ordinary hearing aid in my right ear which has a mild to moderate conductive loss. I haven't had a cholesteatoma in my right ear though. My ear problems were caused by the eustacian tubes not working properly due to being born with a unilateral cleft lip and palate (on the Left, hence the issues being worse on the Left).

Anyway, not really sure what else to say about myself other than being a wife to an understanding husband and mother to 2 beautiful girls. Neither of my girls had a cleft lip or palate, nor do they have hearing issues. I feel very lucky.

I look forward to being a part of this fabulous community!

Thanks for reading

Kylie xx

Hello Kylie again...:D

I guess I got some of my answers which I put in the Bonebridge section. 

These lines explain a lot ... 

Indent on 4000Hz is the consequence of trauma - it's a typical frequency. Your cholesteatoma is a consequence of, most likely, often middle ear infections in that particular ear. Which, basically, lead us to the next step - was your BB signal increased step by step or max in one step? Yours headaches or fatigue could, most likely, be a consequence of not completely adapted hearing map. I would advise you to talk with your audiologist about this issue.