Cintipgh

Dave in Pittsburgh

Hi like to introduce my self I signed up for this site a few days ago under general discussion. I will be having my CI surgery on Oct  27 just having the one CI done but most likely will the other ear done shortly as I am experiencing severe hearing loss in a short time. I just can't wait to be able to hear again, wore hearing aids for last 5-6years. General public has very little respect for people who have this disability I work in retail and people accuse me of ignoreing them or they talk vey loud to you. If anyone lives in Pittsburgh and like to meet for coffee at a Penera for coffee let me know

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello,

Sorry that things are so tough right now.  I remember that feeling very well; a shrinking world.  Hang in there.  These CIs are amazing and have given me the best hearing I have had in many decades.  I used the time leading up to surgery to learn as much as I could about the processors and aural rehab.  Read through topics on here and you will learn a lot from everyone's journeys.

I live in northeastern New York.  If I lived near Pittsburgh, I would meet you at Paneras!  We can have a virtual meeting through this forum.  You can also contact your region's Med-El COM (Community Outreach Manager) and ask to be hooked up with a CI user.  If you don't know who that is, just email Med-El and ask.

Mary Beth

Thanks so much . Yes I've been reading a lot about this and thanks for the info about the Community Outreach Manger I will look into this as this is what I am looking for

Thanks

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Best luck - according to your words, you have more than very good chance to regain good sense of hearing as you're not deafened long time...

Unfortunately, people usually do not know how to behave according to the situation - no one taught them, so excuse them and concentrate on yourself. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I know the feeling. Some people thought I was very rude by "ignoring them". Try not to take it too personally. It is an opportunity to educate some people about hearing loss. I live in SC. I am originally from upstate New York as well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It's a universal feeling - at first we have to understand so we can help them to understand.