Activation Day....and nothing!

KYGENIE

I was completely deafened in the left ear at age 7 due to meningitis.  I got along fine with my right ear until 30 plus years of Meniere's and then AIED wiped out most of the hearing in that ear when I was 42.  I got along okay with a high powered hearing aid in the right ear until AIED reared its head again.  The decision was made to implant the left ear, now deaf for 52 years, and try to preserve the right ear as long as possible.  While there was some ossification, all in all that left cochlea looked pretty good.  The electrode was able to be fully inserted without much difficulty.  A neural response was received when the implant was tested during surgery.  Today was the long awaited activation day.  My expectations, I thought, were realistic.....there would be sound/noise that might not yet be recognizable speech.  Instead, nothing.......no sound, just a feeling of vibrations.  No noise....no sound.  The audiologist was startled and then went into "reassure the patient mode".   Every activation article I read  is "Sound!  Noise!".  I am told this is not unusual and that things can get better...however I haven't read any "real user" blogs/stories about this.  I feel very discouraged.  Did anyone here have less than a magical activation day only to have the sound kick in a few days later?

• HearPeers Heroes

I had mostly silence then quiet marimba when my left CI was activated for speech. I did hear the beeps prior to speech being turned on.

Edited by Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry your journey is starting out so quietly.  I actually have read a blog online written by a CI user who started out in a similar fashion.  I don't recall exactly where I saw it though.  I will search and post a link if I find it.

Are you in the US?  I am in the northeast corner of New York State.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sure that must be a little bit of a let down for you. Try to be patient, your brain hasn't heard that stimuli in many years. It will take time but things will start moving forward hopefully soon. Let us know how the mappings go.

Hi Mary Beth and Adam,

I'm in Central Kentucky--thoroughbred country--but I was born and reared in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky.

• HearPeers Heroes

I've traveled through there.  Beautiful area.  How is day 2 going?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi KYGENIE,

I am not a CI implantee, but I could bet I have also (like Mary Beth) read a testimony of person who also started very poorly but at the end, it was a success.

I would bet it was on the forum AllDeaf or similar.... I remember very vividly of the aforementioned story because it puzzled me also. Lots of hearing exercising was mentioned...

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Kygenie

i wanted to check on you to see how things are progressing. I hope things are improving for you.

adam

• 5 months later...

I was activate May 23rd. I hear a humming all the time, I hear noise, can not understand any speech. When will be able to hear and understand speech?