Position of Synchrony Coil on head

mgfiest

Not to be vain, but can you discuss with doctor where he position the implanted coil when surgery happens.

I asked this because I am into wearing hats... fedoras, panamas, cowboys hats.. anything with wide brim.

I have seen pictures and noticed that some are situated up too high on their skull to accommodate a hat.

Hopefully I can;)

• HearPeers Heroes

You most definitely can discuss it with your surgeon.  Whether your surgeon can accommodate your wishes, depends on several factors.  It is good to discuss all concerns with your surgeon before surgery.

thanks Mary Beth... just wondering if any of the other folks out there have done that discussion with their dr.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes.  People have posted about conversations they had with their surgeons related to hats.

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course it is possible - like people who ride bikes and cycles. It is hard to find a helmet which will be able to accommodate a processor under the helmet without endangering the safety of it.

Equally, you can discuss your wishes with your surgeon.  

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I discussed the positioning of the implants as well. I had sequential so had one surgery then later had another. The surgeon usually takes the considerations of the patient in mind when placing the implant. That said they also have to go with what the patients anatomy gives them. Sometimes it is not possible to place it exactly where initially intended, so the surgeon will try to get as close as possible. 

The same goes for bilateral surgery. The surgeon does his or her best to match them as close as possible on each side of head to give a symmetrical look. Again, they do their best but sometimes it is not possible. One of mine is a little more forward and a bit higher than the other. Most people don't even notice. 

As far as hats, I wear a baseball cap all the time. I can either loosen the cap a bit and have the coil against my head under the cap, or I can have the cap fit a bit more snug and have the coil on the outside of the cap. I have a medium strength magnet and even having the coil on top of the hat, it stays in place. 

When I go to the range to practice, I will wear the coil under my hat as I wear the hearing protection that covers my ears. I still hear fine with them on plus I have the protection as some of the guns there are LOUD. Obviously losing my hearing isn't an issue. I wear the hearing protection to protect against acoustic trauma to the anatomy of the inner ear. 

I don't really wear any other hats. The type I use when working out and running can be adjusted as well