Facial nerve monitor

hearingmiracle

Hi My doctor say ct scan review that my daughter need a facial nerve monitor during CI surgery. Can I check is it common that  all patient will have facial nerve monitor ? 

Do u have it?

Hi, our daughter had the facial nerve monitor during her bi-lateral surgery. Some people have a difference in the positioning of their facial nerve which means the surgeons take extra precaution and use the monitor. So whilst all patients will not need the monitor it is best for the precaution to be taken when the scan shows reason to. I would always ask for further information and reassurance from the doctor if you are unsure on anything. Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had it for both surgeries and believe it is standard practice at my CI center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

The same as Mary Beth said - just a standard practice at my CI center.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is safer to perform a surgery with a facial nerve monitor. Otherwise, it depends on a surgeon. Some of them feels they do not need them, some do need... 

However, it is safer in the situation where facial nerve does not have a standard trajectory.