Andy L.

Andy l

I'm 62 and had my sudden hearing loss since March 14 2016. Along with my loss is a bad case of ringing in my left ear. Has anyone improved their quality of life by having a reduction in tinnitus after a cochlear implant. Greatly appreciate your responses. Andy L

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Andy,

Sorry about your sudden hearing loss.  I had progressive hearing loss beginning at age 13.  I also have tinnitus (ringing) in both ears.  After receiving my CIs at age 51, the tinnitus has changed.  In one ear it is not noticeable when the processor is on and markedly less than before surgery when the processor is off.  In the other ear it is much quieter than before surgery when the processor is on and a bit quieter than before surgery when the processor is off.  It also changed in tone quality.

best of luck to you.  My CIs have been amazing.  I am hearing things that I haven't heard for decades!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Andy! Welcome to Hearpeers. Yes my quality of life has greatly improved with tinnitus and a CI. It is more noticeable after surgery but it diminished significantly after activation. I don't hear it in the implanted ear all day. Till night time when I take it off. It's not too bothersome even then. 

Thank you Kara, at this time the sound seems to be at its maximum height since mar 14th 2016. It would be hard to imagine it any louder after surgery but your encouraging results pushes me towards the CI. Thanks again for your response!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 11/10/2016 at 11:04 PM, Andy l said:

Thank you Kara, at this time the sound seems to be at its maximum height since mar 14th 2016. It would be hard to imagine it any louder after surgery but your encouraging results pushes me towards the CI. Thanks again for your response!

Hello Andy,

In general, tinnitus is a symptom of hearing loss or brain's lack of hearing and then it is created devil's loop. When you'll get outer stimulus - things will be significantly better. 

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Andy,

I am a little late responding but have to agree with both Marybeth and Ivana.

from what I was told, your brain expects to hear sounds, noise ect. Pretty much all the time. Even in a quiet room, there is ambient noise. When there is that lack of sound due to hearing loss, the brain knows it's supposed to hear things. Since it isn't, it makes its own noise which we percieve as tinnitus. 

Different people experience this in different ways. Some hear ocean waves, others hear like a musical beat, I however have been blessed with listening to a very high pitched sound like a "this is a test......" It is VERY high pitch and constant.

immediately after my surgery the tinnitus was through the roof. It did settle quite a bit but didn't stop. 

Once activated, things got much better. For the most part, the tinnitus did not go away but when wearing my processors, it diminished to the point where I really didn't notice it.

it is much more noticeable when I leave my processors off. 

I am hoping you are doing much better. Please let us know how things are going.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Same that you Adam. I have tinnitus now. I never detected before CI. It is a continuous low tone, random and with volume sometimes low, and sometimes medium. I don't know what generate it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin,

Do you hear the noise when your processor is not on?

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin, 

there are certain things that can aggravate tinnitus. If you are tired, caffeine, certain medications.....

i really don't notice it while my processors are on, but I do hear it at night in bed. Of course not nearly as bad as before. I guess I hear enough during the day, so my brain must be satisfied.?

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary, When processor is on I detect it but less If I turn off the processor,

The sound begin in whathever moment of the day, but not every day. I don't know what generate it. This continue along the day till night  When I go to sleep Then tinnitus disappear. When I wake aup next day it is completely off. I will pay attention comments of Adam.