Sonnet Colour

jsussman

I am in the process of selecting my MEDEL processor, and I find it interesting that they don't really have the colour brown for the wire or magnet. I am hoping to have this blend in with my hair colour which is brown and it seems like the closest in terms of the magnet is Ebony and for the wire, I will have to select black. I am picky when it comes to the colours because I don't want the processor to stand out. I am not really sure what the rationale was for not having brown. It seems interesting as cochlear has the colours that are reflective of the skin and hair colour.  Just wanted to get your thoughts. 

• HearPeers Heroes

That's an individual question. I like bold colours so I have black and green. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Jsussman,

What have you chosen? I am conservative here - all is in black.

Sorry..I just saw this message for some reason. I am just going with conservative as well to match my hair colour.  Most likely brown or Ebony and beige. I am disappointed that there is a lack of colour for the magnet. I am also not sure why they have two different pieces for it. I guess I am used to Cochlear, as I have one now. 

• HearPeers Heroes

You have a Cochlear CI and now you are getting a Med-El CI on the other side?

The DL-coil cover is the color that shows.  The magnet in the DL-coil is completely inside the coil and covered by the DL-coil cover.  It is not similar to Cochlear's headpiece design.

No, they are explanting the cochlear device and re-implanting me with the MEDEL device on the same ear because of the option of a MEDEL custom electrode.

Yes, I understand that the MEDEL and cochlear magnet are completely different. I was just commenting on the colour scheme of the magnet as they don't seem to have one that matches my hair colour. It seems that the they have the colour that I went for the cable. Maybe they are working on adding more colours...I hope!

• HearPeers Heroes

Cool a custom electrode array.  I'd love to hear more about that if you are willing.

The DL-coil covers come in lots of colors (about 12 I believe) but the DL cables only come in 4 colors.  My cable is short (6.5 cm) and gets lost in my hair.  I guess it depends a lot on where the internal implant is located on our head.  There is a lot of variation in that.  

I wonder how different your experience will be since you already have experience with electrical input on that side from your Cochlear device?

There are covers called SkinIts.  They have thousands of color and design choices and you can also design your own.  I heard that someone took a photo of their hair and used that image to create custom SkinIt covers.  The covers go on the coil as well as the processor.  If you want to, you can make the coil blend in with your hair that way.

I chose anthracite for everything and black for the cable.  

sure am wishing you the best!

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I am sure over time, they might add to the colors based on demand. I didn't go with a neutral color. White and blue. I am proud to have them. If somebody doesn't like them, then they don't have to look at them. 

jsussman 

please keep us informed of how things sound to you with med-el vs cochlear. 

I believe all mfr's achieve the same end results. Just wondering if one would sound more 'natural' than the other. 

Anyway, welcome to med-el and God Bless on your surgery. 

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@jsussman How are you doing with the MED-EL custom electrode array?

Out of courtesy, I decided to respond to your question. I had the surgery a few months ago, but there was a complication. As a result, I didn't get the MEDEL device or any other cochlear implant. I am not going to divulge into it because my situation is an anomaly and don't want others to compare it to myself.  It has been very disappointing in the least, and I don't wish to discuss it.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so sorry to read about your experience.  I can only imagine how disappointed you must be.  I wish you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

We're hear to listen too. Keep us posted.