Aural Rehab

Toni Anne

I have seen some great suggestions of apps & programs to assist in rehab but cant find them anywhere now.  Can I ask for the names of programs anyone might have used please.  I dont have an ipad but am seriously considering one for my rehab so would welcome any advice regarding that too.  Thank you :)

Hi Toni, thanks for your question! One of our CI recipients and HearPeers members, Yelena (aka Cara Mia), recently wrote this MED-EL Blog post on some of the best rehabilitation resources around: http://www.medel.com/blog/the-best-cochlear-implant-rehabilitation-listening-resources/ Hope this helps! Leigh

• HearPeers Heroes

Toni Anne

also look under our topic of aural rehab.  Lots of help there too.

for iPad to start off with aural rehab:

ABCLIX app- start with this one, then add in

iAngel Sounds

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Toni,

have you found those resources to be helpful? Always curious to hear new users opinions on the different programs that are out there

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, I'm using in these days Angel sounds commented by Mary beth. It is interesting to see how the ear is adapted to the sound according you go doing the exercises.

I don't know if people with some years with CI experiment this in same way that new one.

• HearPeers Heroes

Valentin

i have read in many different places that the hearing you have after about a year is pretty much all you will get. 

I would have to argue with that as I have talked to way to many people that were still making improvements well after a year. I had after 2 years.

every once in a while I still have aha moments. I can remember listening to a classic rock and roll song that I hadn't heard in many years. At one point at the beginning of the song thinking, I never knew this song started with a bass solo in it. 

This made me realize that maybe I started losing my hearing much sooner than I thought and the second thing was how awesome is it that I can pick up such small details.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with you Adam.  There are lots of improvements that occur after that magic one year mark.  Actually I recently read a study that tracked CI users from pre-implant to 5 years after activation.  Progress was still being seen at that point.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth

i don't doubt that one bit. I'm curious if I have made any more improvement. 

Mat this point though, the visit would come out of my pocket. Those pesky insurance companies again

• HearPeers Heroes

And the funny thing is, we can know there is an improvement in our daily functioning in real life and sometimes the booth testing doesn't show it.  The same way booth testing can show strong levels and some people still struggle in their real life.  There is quite a difference between hearing in the booth and hearing in real life.  That's why I was so excited to read your comments about the dual mics when you were out of the research testing environment at night.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's right Mary Beth. Kind of like the saying, "perception is reality"

there were times where I was convinced I hadn't made any gains and complained to my Audi. She brought me in and wouldn't you know it, I had made some gains 

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm at the one year mark and still having improvements.