Surgery Scheduled & Device Selected-Going with Rondo 3 & Sonnet 2

Tim

• Members

Thanks for everyone's input and discussions - especially Mary Beth and Jared! 

Just filled out the System Order Form this morning and committed to Med-El.  Getting a Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2. 

Surgery scheduled for January 10th and activation on January 26th, just in time for the January 29th Google Meet event!

Tim

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

It’s an exciting time for you!!!!  The fun begins at activation.  Wishing you a successful and easy surgery/recovery.  

Our GoogleMeet is on the 29th just 3 days after your activation!!!  

I look forward to following your journey!

• Members

Thanks and sorry for the typo about the date.  I knew it was the 29th!  

In looking over my order form, I see that my audi ordered a Sonnet 2 EAS rather than the standard Sonnet 2.  My latest audiogram said 75 dB of loss at the lowest frequency range (250Hz).  I assumed that this was much too loss to bother with EAS.  

Are there any tradeoffs to having the EAS?  

For example, can the EAS attachment be removed if it doesn't provide benefit?

Does the dual stimulation increase power consumption and thereby decrease battery life? (Seems like it must.)

Do people with similar loss find practical benefit from EAS?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

sonnet EAS can be set to work as a sonnet CI only.  The earhook needs to be switched to the completely closed earhook.  

Sonnet CI only can not be set to Sonnet EAS.

That’s the way I understand it.

If there is no chance of using the acoustic component, I’d ask the audiologist to order the Sonnet CI version.  Why have processor internal components you will never need?  Just my opinion.

• Members

Thanks for the very quick and helpful response.  My order form was filled out yesterday and is likely getting submitted today or tomorrow.  

I wonder if the weight difference is all in the earhook.  

I've also got a question into the Med-El rep, will post back if I hear anything different.

Tim

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

The EAS version has to have HA components in the processor too.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:21 PM, Tim said:

Thanks for the very quick and helpful response.  My order form was filled out yesterday and is likely getting submitted today or tomorrow.  

I wonder if the weight difference is all in the earhook.  

I've also got a question into the Med-El rep, will post back if I hear anything different.

Tim

Hi tim, i have sonnet2 eas, i wonder if your audi and surgeon decided you have residual hearing for eas. I believe its good for the remaining part of your hearing to be active. There is a plug that will be made for your ear, with a tube attached to the sonnet. Once the plug is in your ear it supports the sonnet processor so that i dont feel any weight at all. Ive had ci for 15 months, a new ha for three and i much prefer the ci sound!

I have seen a post by folks who just dropped the tube and plug. I dont know if the acoustic portion of eas can be changed by audiokey2, i wil play with that today, but its a question for medel as to programming the ci to 100 percent electrical.

Congrats on your ci, it will be fun to see you in january with your newly activated ears!!!!

• Members

Thanks for the followups.  I went through the EAS thread after the pointer.

My Audi said that she defaults to selecting the EAS on the chance that there is residual hearing that can benefit from EAS but otherwise it can be treated as just a regular CI with swapping out the earhook.

It doesn't seem like there is any real drawback to ordering the EAS version and using it in just a non-EAS mode.  Presumably it is charging more to insurance but I don't really have control or visibility into that.

Tim

@Tim my audiologist does the same. No pricing difference and no drawback either. I actually got to use EAS in my left ear up until November of this year. Currently both Sonnet 2s are EAS-capable. 

I’d asked my surgeon to move the left side back up and there was a 1% chance the existing implant would be messed up and needing complete replacement. And wouldn’t you know… residual hearing didn’t stand up to the re-implantation and my right ear retained nothing. So no EAS for me anymore. 

(there was also a 1% chance that the sides would be symmetrical and I’m a true 1%-er). 

1 hour ago, Dianna said:

Grats and condolences on the first side lauren! Did your audi say if programming needs to be changed?

Starting over from scratch. New electrodes, placed differently so old programming won’t work. 

Correct. Residual in left ear didn’t stand up to the reimplantation and the right ear retained nothing.