I wish my CI.......

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

We know that in the US, we are waiting for FDA approval for dual mics and windblock settings for the Sonnets.  We also know that Med-El has a future wireless connectivity device for the Sonnets in the works.

But if you could wish for something in addition to that for your CI or BoneBridge processor, what would you wish for?

• HearPeers Heroes

My wish list....

1) A way for my bilateral CIs to work together,, as opposed to two completely separate systems.

2) New version of the Rondo with the Sonnet features.

3). A way to locate lost Rondos.  Many people lose their or their kids' Rondos and some never surface again.  Since Rondos can travel further than BTE processors when they get knocked off, a tracking locator device would be helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

To be in sync with the house. So it would let me know if there was someone at the door. Etc 

• HearPeers Heroes

I like this game and I like Mary Beth's and Kara's ideas. Waiting for that features being available, too.

But I also dream that someday our CIs will be fully implantable with processors hidden under the skin. I see it is able to follow our voice commands and communicate some basic info with us without any use of a remote control (yes, I want our CI to hear and talk at the first, then communicate directly with our mind). It would be good to be able to change some our processor settings and make more substantial adjustments besides just loudness and sensitivity.

And of course, it would be great to have some long-living power source invented (kind of an implantable power generator). Perhaps, our CIs will learn how to use an electric energy our body generates to support our internal systems.

And I think that in the future the scientists find out how to transfer the electrical signal from processors to a brain without electrode insertion.

I don't want to sound unreasonable, but the size of implants should be no more that a penny. Or implant could be injected in a form of some liquid substance that after crystallization get the ability of what we know a computer chip with input/output through our cognitive perception with an ability to generate life-long power supply.

This thing will be advanced enough to get phone calls like our cell phones do it now. As well as play music/podcasts etc at our wish. Why, then not to use it to manage our smart homes and keep our daily tasks (calendars, reminders, internal clock).

Ha-ha, I need to stop. Don't want to overwhelm our dear MED-El with to much tasks :)

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Haha! That's an awesome idea Cara!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely Adam. Even global releases could be faster! 

• HearPeers Heroes

We have no choice but to wait. Oh well. At least we know it is coming eventually. Due to the research I participated in at Arizona State, I will at least be up to speed on the programs.

• HearPeers Heroes

I can't really complain. Med el has been amazing to me. Their customer service and everything is top notch. 

• HearPeers Heroes

They have to me as well. Customer service is second to none. I'm not thrilled with waiting on the FDA

• HearPeers Heroes

With the FDA, I don't necessarily think politics are involved. Each year they have to test hundreds of products to make sure they are 100% safe. If there is a question, this is brought to the company then they have to provide necessary info in ref to whatever it is they have a question about. This can be a bit of a long process. Ultimately they are concerned for the safety of the consumer. They want to make sure they cover it from every angle

i am not a hearing professional,nor do I have any inside info but if I had to guess, they are probably looking pretty hard at one of the programs in relation to pediatric. I can't remember the name of the program but it is the one where the rear Mics are off so you can focus on voices in front of you say in a restaurant.

if a child happens to be in that program and the mom or dad doesn't realize it. If the child starts running for the road, he or she won't hear the parents yelling for them to stop. 

Granted that situation mainly calls for vigilance of the parents. This really is just a guess but I'm sure they take all this into consideration. I know the Audi can disable that particular program. This was just for illustration as far as all that the FDA has to look at.

it can be frustrating to wait but we have to remember that they are being very cautious with every product in concern for the safety of the person using that product. 

• HearPeers Heroes

We have a similar process in Canada.  Our government does the same thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back to wishs and to expand on Kara's in sync with the house... I would like to remove my Sonnet at night and just have some way for the implant to hear fire alarm, security system, doorbell, perhaps phone. Bluetooth device bedside table? Little button to put on implant?

Thanks for the link. My last system was by Alertmaster. Wasn't very pleased with it for the money spent. My thinking is we now have the implant 24/7, might as well use it ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck in your search. They have many options. I hope you find what you need