Hello

Lisabeth

Hi,

I am new to Hear Peers.  I got my Cochlear Implant in May of 2014 and have both the Med El Rondo and the Opus for my left ear.  I use the Rondo the most and am enjoying my new hearing.  I recently had a cold and have a problem that when I blow my nose the implant cuts out and sometimes stays out for 15 min.  Has anyone had this problem? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lisabeth,

Welcome and I am glad that you are enjoying your new hearing.  I was implanted in Feb 2015 and October 2015.  I am using Sonnets now but I use Rondos when I am in/near water and love them too.  I also have used an Opus2.  They are all great processors.

I have never experienced anything that causes my CI sound signal to cut out.  If it happened to me, I would schedule an appointment with my CI surgeon.  I hope you get this resolved soon.

Mary Beth

Hello Mary Beth,

It's nice to meet you.  I have spoken to both my CI surgeon and my Audiologist about the cut out and the both seem confused about what Is happening.  My surgeon thinks its an air bubble that gets in when I blow my nose.  His suggestion is to see my Audiologist when this happens so she can check to see if there is a change in the electrodes before and after I blow my nose.  Fortunately the implant has always come back on after it cuts out, but each time I worry that it will not.  Other than this problem, I absolutely love my implant!

I don't know anything about the Sonnet.  What do you like about it?  After years of wearing around the ear hearing aids, I love that now I have nothing around my ears with the Rondo. 

Lisabeth  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Lisabeth,

I have read online articles about air pockets caused by nose blowing and causing problems for CI users.  It seems to be a rather rare event.  That would make me anxious too.  I would probably try never to blow my nose again.  Smile.  Easier said, than done. 

It is nice to have nothing on the ear with the Rondo.  I just feel a bit more secure with the BTE processors in case I do something that knocks the coil off.  However I wear my Rondos a lot in the summer and on beach vacations.

For me the Rondo and Opus2 sound the same.  The only sound differences for me are:

1) if I am at a restaurant and sitting in a booth and the person behind me in the next booth has a loud voice, then the mic position on the Opus2 is better 

2) it is easier for me to use any phone with the Opus2 than the Rondo.  I can use phones with the Rondo, but I have to be careful with positioning.

As far as differences between the Sonnet and Rondo/Opus2, for me...

1) the Sonnet has a more natural sound quality for speech and better sound quality for music

2) I prefer the Sonnet DL-coil cable.  It lasts much longer than the Opus2 cable

3) I am excited to try the dual mic settings for noise when the FDA approves them

4) I can't wait for the Med-El future 2.4 wireless connectivity devices that will work with the Sonnet

5) I am a big fan of the Sonnet standard rechargeable batteries- they are so tiny and light and the little carrying pouch that holds 4 spares is also so tiny and the charger for it fits in a small black case.  Great for traveling too.

Rondos win for me with the waterwear covers though.  Those covers fit skintight over the Rondo, with no extra bulk at all and since the Rondo mic is protected, everything sounds awesome.  You don't even know you have the waterwear cover on.

But I love all 3 processors.  These CIs have been life changing.

Are you in the US?  I am in the northeast corner of New York State.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh I forgot......I love the water resistance of the Sonnet!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome Lisabeth. Nice to have a new face around here! Well all the others are awesome too!! 

16 hours ago, Lisabeth said:

Hi,

I am new to Hear Peers.  I got my Cochlear Implant in May of 2014 and have both the Med El Rondo and the Opus for my left ear.  I use the Rondo the most and am enjoying my new hearing.  I recently had a cold and have a problem that when I blow my nose the implant cuts out and sometimes stays out for 15 min.  Has anyone had this problem? 

Hi Lisabeth, thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers community. If you have suffered a cold and are frequently blowing your nose, air bubbles can occur between the skin and the top of the implant, which can cut out sound momentarily. This is only temporary and nothing to worry about—as you have found, the problem generally resolves itself soon afterwards. I would recommend avoiding blowing your nose where possible. If you are unable to avoid blowing your nose and the air bubbles continue to occur, I recommend speaking to your medical professional who will be able to talk about other available options. Hope this helps! Kind regards, Leigh

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Lisabeth,

Can you describe little bit more specifically - what exactly happens? 

You do not hear anything at all? Or you have different sounds.... It would be great if you can conduct some basic tests which would tell more about the function of your Eustachian tube and middle ear - how does this affect....

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi lisabeth

i personally have not had this occur. I agree with Leigh as your doctor and surgeon know your medical history and hearing history better than anyone. I would consult with them if this problem persists. 

I currently have the Sonnets but started with the Opus2. I am patiently waiting for the 2nd mic to be approved as is everybody else in the U.S. I got the opportunity to wear 2 sonnets for 3 days with both Mics turned on as I was part of a research study at Arizona State U. Absolutely loved it and can't wait for things to be approved. 

The Rondo really didn't appeal to me as I didn't think it would be a good fit for my lifestyle. One good reason why MEDEL is such an awesome company. They try to provide different options for people to give each as much hearing freedom as they can.