Bonebridge surgery pain

Jannine

Hi I have just joined this forum to read of others experiences. I am day 4 postoperative from bilateral bonebridge. I was told the surgery went well. I understood that there would not be a lot of pain postoperative but I am still experiencing a fair bit. When I woke in recovery my ear flaps were very sore and still are. They are also sticking out quite a bit. The op sites are not really that sore though. Any thoughts on this??

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Jannine,

Congratulations on your BoneBridge surgery.  I wish you the best.

I am a bilateral CI user but just wanted to say hi.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Janine. Congrats on your surgery. Ivana is our BB expert. She will chime in soon.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Jannine,

I am feeling sorry because you experience unexpected pain - do you take any pain relief medication?

Postoperative day 4 is still early on your healing way, as you have observed you have and will have oedematous temporal flap for at least a month.

Perhaps, it was not well described to you but, essentialy the BB implantation is cortical mastoidectomy. I can not tell - "it is nothing...", although - everybody responds individually...

For instance, I did not have any pain at all (but I am little bit awkward example). I am a unilateral BB implantee, 3,5 years up to now.

My advice to you is to take a plenty of rest, try to exercise a bit (it did help to me), take a pain relief medication...

If I may ask you, what is your "hearing loss history", how did you hear for and made your choice for BB?

15 hours ago, Jannine said:

Hi I have just joined this forum to read of others experiences. I am day 4 postoperative from bilateral bonebridge. I was told the surgery went well. I understood that there would not be a lot of pain postoperative but I am still experiencing a fair bit. When I woke in recovery my ear flaps were very sore and still are. They are also sticking out quite a bit. The op sites are not really that sore though. Any thoughts on this??

Hi Jannine, thank you for reaching out to the HearPeers community. If you are still experiencing pain, I would strongly recommend speaking with your medical professional as they will be able to help you hands-on with this issue. I have also sent you a private message to find out further information. Kind regards, Leigh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again and thankyou for the responses.  I ended up going back to my surgeon after one week and again after two weeks as I was concerned (still lots of pain) and needed reassurance that all was good.  He reassured me that although it is not expected to have so much pain in my "temporal flaps" it is understandable. I am now 3.5 weeks post-op and have just started to be able to lie on my sides to sleep - even though this is still a bit sore.   I am still feeling some pain and the opsite is very tender to touch which is understandable.  The pain has reduced enough for me to stop taking painkillers about three days ago.  I am concerned that the temporal flaps are still sticking out quite a bit - I'm not sure if they have even improved at all - maybe a little bit or maybe I am getting used to my new look :(.  I received my implants a few weeks ago - pleased with the results of this - have to be very wary of not letting them get knocked off.  With regards to my type of hearing loss I have had multiple infections as a child and also a cholesteatoma - resulting in the loss of my middle ear bones and most of ear drum on the left side.  The right side has had multiple eardrum patches and the ear canal has closed due to scar tissue.  I used to wear an in the ear aid but have become unable to tolerate this over the last decade or so.  I had a BAHA implant on my left side 10 years ago which was good but I had almost constant inflammation at the implant site.  I also lost a great deal of hair during this surgery ("I'm sure more than I should have) and ended up having a hair transplant.  With my hearing detiorating in my right hear I was looking at something to help the hearing on this side and my ENT surgeon suggested the bonebridge as an option.

• HearPeers Heroes

Congrats! Best of luck and keep us informed! 

• 1 month later...

HI all,  just to keep you posted.  It is now over 7 weeks postop.  The hearing result is great - although  I do have to be very wary of losing the external devices, expecially as the magnets had to be changed to a weaker strength due to pain at the site.  I am however, very disappointed that my temporal flaps are still sticking out just as much as immediately after surgery.  I look like an elf!  The doctor has told me that this could take 6 months to settle but it is mot improving at all yet.  If it had been explained to me that this was a possible side effect, I would have gone for the BAHA implant with magnetic connection.  I strongly suspect that the problem comes from the positioning of the internal device pushing my ear flaps out.  Also, I had a blind sac procedure at the same time which is still discharging.  I saw the doctgor at about 6 weeks postop and he tells me everything is ok and looking good.  He has suggested that if the temporal flaps don't improve he can pin them back after six months - not happy - really not wanting to undergo another surgery - pain, cost, time off work, etc.

• HearPeers Heroes

Jannine, I am glad that you like your hearing results. Hope your external devices will stay put with you. Both my CIs are attached pretty well with the magnet strength #2. Sorry, that there are some challenges on your path. But our body organization and physiology are quite the complicated things to get perfect results as soon as we would like. I am sure that eventually you will reach the point where you can just enjoy your result without any worries. My best wishes to you!

Hi Jannine, I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. I would recommend continue staying in close contact with your surgeon who will be able to give you the best advice on this. If you need any further support, please let me know and I can send you through the contact details of your local MED-EL Representative. I wish you all the best! Kind regards, Leigh

• HearPeers Heroes

Jannine

i am very glad to hear  you are making progress. As Leigh suggested, make sure you keep I contact with your primary care provider. As far as swelling, each person heals at different rates. There isn't anything wrong with that. Some bodies just like to take their time ?.

it can take a while for swelling to go completely. That said, for you it is probably going down just at a much slower rate than normal. Since you see your ears every day it is probably hard for you to notice any difference. My doctor told me it could take up to 6 months for swelling to go away in some people, and 6 weeks in others. More than the swelling, pay attention to any pain, which seems to be under control now, as well as any redness, if the incision site feels warm to the touch or if there is any discharge coming from the incision. If you notice any of these things definitely let your doctor know. For me, after both surgeries, the implant site was tender for a while. I am not a medical professional, what I have suggested is just after having had 39 surgeries in my lifetime. If you have any concerns at all, contact your doctor

adam

Hi Adam Thanks for taking the time to reassure me.  I really do hope you are right. One ear seems to be making progress but the other is still way out where it was to start almost 3 months ago. I will be surprised if it returns to normal but - like I say I hope you're right. There is definitely no sign if infection at the site (warmth or discharge) but still tender to touch eg putting on my glasses. Wow- 39 surgeries - is that all on your ears? I have had around 7 on my earsc- nothing compared to that.  I hope you have had success!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Janine,

sometimes we have to be patient. Both of my ears "got it" at different rates. Funny but I think I hear better out of the ear that had 0 residual hearing. It's also the one I had the most trouble with over the years. 6 surgeries on it. No not all surgeries were on the ears. 19 of them were brain surgeries. 

Make sure you stay in close contact with your audiologist. Obviously we don't know how things will play out but we are hoping for and believing that things will turn the corner soon

Thanks Adam.  Funny the audiologist said she has never seen the ears sticking out like this before!  Hope your surgeries have all gone well for you - yes, we have to have faith that they will be the right thing for us - otherwise I guess we wouldn't keep going back.

Thanks again,  Jannine :)

• HearPeers Heroes

So far I'm still vertical ?

I dont let the issues that I have get in the way of life. I tell people that the list of health issues I have is what I have, not who I am. They do not define me. I tell people I squeeze ultramarathons and karate inbetween brainsurgeries. I even suggested to my neuro surgeon to instal a zipper in my head to make it easier for him next time. I don't know. I thought it was funny. I guess neurosurgeons don't have a sense of humor?

With me, one ear seemed to swell much more than the other. Let's go on the fact that your ears want to take their sweet time to heal up. As I said before we are hoping that things turn around on the hearing front for you. There were plenty of very frustrating days, then the every once in a while "a ha" moment. Try to celebrate the small victories and try not to stress that things aren't coming as quickly as others that you might have read about. 

The day of my first activation, some people sounded like nothing but white noise or static. My surgeon poked his head in and was telling me of one of his patients being activatedwalked out into the hall and called him on the cell phone.

not exactly what I needed to hear right then. Then I had to take a step back and realize. That ear was completely dead. I am now getting sounds from it. I decided to remember the 3 p's ( patience, practice and perseverance) buckled down and started practicing every chance I got. For most of us it was a marathon and not a sprint and we are believing you will get there. Hang in there.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes exactly what Adam said. Yes Adam the nuerosugeons don't have a sense of humour, that's a good one though!! So keep practicing and be patient. Good things come to those who try hard!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2017 at 10:08 AM, Jannine said:

Hi Jennine, was just reading your story......my daughter is day 11 post op after Bonebridge surgery & like you is experiencing a lot of pain still, she is going back to her surgeon tomorrow to hopefully get her staples removed, I am hoping this will relieve some of her pain. She is unable to have any strong painkillers as she is allergic to a lot of the good stuff & is basically only having Panadol. She felt pretty good for the first few days after surgery, but now she just has a sharp stabbing pain that comes & goes. Any advice, how long did it take for your pain to settle?