CI knowledge

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

He everybody

im curios, when your audiologist or doctor told you that they thought it was time for you to get a CI or at least see if you were a viable candidate, what was your knowledge of CI's at that time? Did you already know all about them, never heard of them before?

i myself, having been involved volunteering at the local Deaf outreach center for a few years, when my hearing was borderline severe, so I did have hearing aids. I learned all about the history of CIs and Deaf cultures views against. I had done a lot of research back then and learned about Deaf culture which led me to learn all about CIs. I thought it was fascinating and continued to learn as much as I could. Who knew, a few years later, I would need 2 of them

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Adam - interesting questions you ask!

I think I've always been a candidate for CIs - my last two audiologists brought it up however I was so afraid to do it because I already had 2 traumatic ear surgeries as a child. And I didn't feel like I needed it just yet. But it wasn't until July of 2016 I went to a new audiologist and she sat me down and really explained everything- from testing to surgery to equipment. She changed everything for me. I knew a little bit about CIs but after further research, I thought it was incredible! And how nice would it be to hear better for a change. Plus, it was a struggle at work to hear people and understand them. The environment was terrible for people like us - open area, wood floors, high ceilings, music, and constant chatter. I burned through an insane amount of energy trying to understand everybody. Now, obviously it's a different story ???

The Deaf culture does strongly oppose CIs and even hearing aids. How did they take to you getting 2 CIs?

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan

iver the last 10 or 15 years the Deaf culture has become more accepting of CIs as you can have them but still be a part of that community. 

There are some that are still very much opposed to CIs as they think that CIs will wipe out their Rich culture and traditions, language.

overall though even if you have a CI but earnestly want to be involved, they will welcome you. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think overall, that is great that they will accept you with CIs. Growing up in South Jersey there was a small deaf community and the idea was, as long as you made an effort to sign and communicate with them they would accept you. I never knew what their thoughts were on HAs or CIs as it never came up in the conversations. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone, but it makes me uncomfortable when people refer to the Deaf community as having only one view or perception of CIs.  Just like any cultural group, members of the Deaf community each have their own beliefs and opinions.  

People with CIs who meet people who are members of the Deaf community, are just people meeting people.  Some interactions will be positive and some will not.  Mutual respect goes a long way in building bridges between cultural groups.

• HearPeers Heroes

Very true, just like with any cultural group.

heck there are hearing folks that have strong opinions on both sides of the fence. 

I was welcomed with open arms into the community as a "hearie". They were very patiient with me and made sure I felt welcome. I was concerned about getting a CIvas I thought they would have issue with it. 

I couldn't have been more wrong. Their view is, whatever method of communication you use doesn't matter as long as you are participating in community.

yes there are some with very strong feelings on both sides but you will find that anywhere. 

I also was a source of entertainment at times trying to sign and totally using the wrong sign giving them a good laugh ?

• HearPeers Heroes

For me I didn't know much. I was told I had no other option. With progressive hearing loss I would loose all at some point. I so I made an appointment to see what they had to say. It wasn't really until I joined this group that I learned about what it really meant to have a CI. That didn't even really make it real for me until I went through it myself. 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2017-01-28 at 5:13 PM, Mary Beth said:

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone, but it makes me uncomfortable when people refer to the Deaf community as having only one view or perception of CIs.  Just like any cultural group, members of the Deaf community each have their own beliefs and opinions.  

People with CIs who meet people who are members of the Deaf community, are just people meeting people.  Some interactions will be positive and some will not.  Mutual respect goes a long way in building bridges between cultural groups.

For sure Mary Beth! I have met a number of deaf people and even some with CIs. They were all accepting. They may not have thought it was the right step for them, but they were accepting. There was even a lady that had had a CI for 20 years. She said she was too lazy to put it on everyday. She was happy just signing.