Foreign accents on TV

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey my Bionic buddies

curious as to how you guys do trying to understand  different accents (without captions) from around the world. 

Do you have challenges with them?

no problems at all? 

Touch base with captions to clarify what you thought you heard?

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I love listening to people with different accents.  It's so much fun to learn what different accents actually sound like.  Smile.  TedTalks are a great exposure to many accents and the podcast (TedTalk Radio) gives practice with no visual info.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree Nary Beth

there a couple that get me though. A good freind of mine is from Scotland and his wife from the U.K.

his accent is so thick, it took a very. Long time to understand him. Iseemtodo really well with the rest I have come across

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I need a very short time to get used to the accents, but still it takes some time. I like the British accent because it is what you start with when learning English in Russia.

The most challenging accents for me are Asian ones but it is just because they sounds so soft and smooth for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

Asian are a bit of a challenge but not too bad for me. 20+ Years of martial arts have helped quite a bit. 

British, not too bad. Scottish and Irish are challenging for sure. Ranks right up there with Russian :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe the accent in each languaje exist in other as in english. The spanish spoken in Spain, is very different that spoken in Latin América. I have same issue when I talk with people there.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Valentin

believe it or not, there are even accents in ASL ( American Sign Language) they can be subtle differences in the way signs are used based on what part of the country you are from

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, I'm not in USA. I live in Spain (Canary Islands).

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Valentin

i remember you mentioning that. ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

Can you tell me the movie titles with Scottish / Irish accents. I want to try. By the way, Russian accent sounds quite harsh for me, but because many sounds are pronounced more distinguish it is easy for me to understand. Funny to hear about ASL accent. Never thought about this. Sometimes people tell me that they cannot place my accent... I think it is a special "hard of hearing" accent :)

Valentin,  I am agree with you that each language has some variations. The same thing with Russian - different accents and dialects.

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara, I was actually talking to my freind Martin today at work. He is from Scotland with a VERY thick accent. I couldn't understand a word fro the longest time. Now I understand him with no problems. We have known each other for 20 years. His kids were born here in the U.S. They have American accents with a very slight mix of their dad and mom who is from the U.K.

they can imitate both parents perfectly. It's pretty funny. 

I don't know of any movie title but will see if I can find something for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ugh, thus is a very good topic Adam [emoji4]

To me, the most understandable accent is - the American [emoji39]
After that comes - English.
Scotish, Walsh'es and, particularly - Northern Irish: it' s a death sentence for me.

Also, I remember - Australian is also a pain in the brain...
I guess this is the matter of how much opportunity you had to listen them.
As most of movies on our market are from the U.S., I guess it is understandable... but on the other side, my particular type of hearing loss has never allowed to me to pay attention regarding all words. At the same time, I have learnt English as a foreign language - this helped me to learn how to understand even pretty complex words. For instance, try to pronounce word CHOIR if you never heard it...

On the other side, our grammar was very strict - the Cambridge+Oxford's.... In Croatia, English was never learnt like in India - either you had learnt it and you know it, either you do not understand it at all... there is no strange pronounciation, or short abbreviation.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes

The other observation goes in the direction of German/Austrian language...
Pretty everything is here clear and understandable as German language is strict, without much of thick accents except some local like Schwäbisch. The main difficulty is the speed of the pronounciation of their language - they talk really fast.

• HearPeers Heroes

Italian...

Well, I have never learnt it (sorry MB [emoji4]), but some elementary level is pretty much understandable - not too fast, more like sort of song... Inspite of that, it is pretty understandable language for a person like me...

• HearPeers Heroes

Learned a lot of Italian and French in Culinary school.

i was surprised how similar Italian and Spanish are

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting thoughts Ivana. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

well.. living in Europe, at such interesting [emoji16] GPS coordinates makes your complete life pretty much interesting...
and, I haven't even touched the base with Hungarian language...[emoji4][emoji3]

• HearPeers Heroes

I imagine it would be very difficult. Do you notice slight differences in region with your language?

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, thanks for the idea. I will find Scottish / Irish accents on YouTube.

• HearPeers Heroes
I imagine it would be very difficult. Do you notice slight differences in region with your language?

You know what... This is another great question, Adam.

When I started using my Bonebridge, I have started to notice a lot better dialects which are obviously different and those which are just slightly different.
I haven't done this before... [emoji53]

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, that is AWESOME!!!  Constant progress. So happy for you!!!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

So, you understand Adam when I said that my previous hearing aid modification altered my reality in most strange way: you understand under certain circumstances what has been said, but - this was just my interpretation - not my real experience.
It's very strange hear this from a person who has a conductive hearing loss. Not just people than other professionals think - ok, this is it: you hear normal.
But, heck... we also need adjustments.

• HearPeers Heroes

I understood completely. Sometimes I wish our perceptions are better understood by audiologist. Hard to put into words sometimes

you have made great progress though.

i also remember trying to explain or put into words exactly what I was hearing. At times very frustrating when it seemed my audiologist was just looking at the numbers.

we all need adjustments for sure. Sometimes I will look back to see how far I have come. Helps me keep things in perspective. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Adam...

We are dealing with invisible perspectives - hearing is the only invisible disability. People are not used to deal something what might be a sort of Matrix material. It's very hard to find a person who completely understand the problem. Or at least that - only sky is limit. What I can get if my hearing - only I know.
When I was younger, my music teacher advised my parents to take musical lessons. Although I literally hate them [emoji16] - I know they helped me to develop my proficient sense of hearing.... to develop sort of qualities whise are very hard to understand, yet - only I can sense them when I hear them...
For instance, listening of Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd part...