Noise

Dave in Pittsburgh

I got my CI activated in November I am woundering if the following noise are normal to be very annoying 

water running into a stainless steel sink,rattleing of silverware and the plastic grocery bags these noise drive me crazy 

Thanks

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Along my journey we hit a spot where the sound from plates or unloading the dishwasher etc was annoyingly loud.  My audiologist told me that my brain had to get used to those sounds.  Sure enough, it did.  So if this is a temporary annoying sound, it may just need time for your brain to learn to ignore or accept it.  However if this is not a temporary issue, your audiologist can adjust your MAP to ease off of those sounds.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh my gosh! Plates and silverware were almost painful. For me, we turned off electrode 12 for a little while. 12 is responsible for the higher pitches. After a few weeks, we turned it on but at a very low level. Then gradually increased it as my brain got used to that range. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Higher frequencies were lost at first, so a person's brain has to sort this thing individually.
Although I do not have SNHL, I have never heard before my activation such a clear and sharp noise like an elevator made it although I was even 50m far away...
So I can understand it...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup, from what I understand, the "avg." person usually will lose the high frequencies first. 

When they are activated, these are the first that are noticed or come back stronger. It usually takes a little time for the brain to sort out what it is hearing so you will sometimes hear really funny sounds as your brain does not know how to interpret the new sounds it is hearing?

• HearPeers Heroes

I can imagine that, although my sensations were clear - but the intensity was... ahhh....

• HearPeers Heroes

Higher frequencies for me were almost painful. Hadn't heard them in so long, we had to ease into it

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes me as well. Utensils and pots and pans were a unbearable sound. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Luckily it does not last long

• HearPeers Heroes

ugh... I needed adjustment - elevator was near our working space - doc's offices and operating room for small procedures...

ugh... ugh...