CI Surgery under Local Anaesthetic

Janet C

Hello, I am new to this forum and have been searching to see if anyone has undergone CI surgery under local anaesthetic.  Unfortunately I cannot see any mention in the various posts. 

I am 54 years of age and was diagnosed with heart failure a year ago. At the time I was being assessed for implantation, but was told I could not have general anaesthetic for what they called a non essential procedure. I was subsequently referred to another implant clinic where they had carried out about a dozen implants under local anaesthetic. These had not been done for cost reasons but for people like me who are higher risk patients for general anaesthesia.

I am hoping my surgery will take place in April. Has anybody else experienced the operation awake? It's a bit daunting but hopefully will be worth it in the end.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers!! Wow I personally haven't heard of this way of doing the procedure but well there is always advancements in the medical field so I am happy to hear you will be able to join our group and start your journey!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have read about BoneBridge under local but not CI under local.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Janet C, welcome to hearpeers! It is not common at all but I can remember hearing of a person going through the surgery under not general but not local anesthesia kind of in between. 

My guess is that if they can perform brain surgery under local anesthesia, I imagine it can be done by a surgeon willing to do it. That said, I AM NOT a doctor. I would consult with your medical team to decide the best course of action

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Janet, all that I can say, that in my country many different kinds of surgeries are performed under local anesthesia. Some of them are pretty invasive. Of course it is challenging but mostly, psychologically challenging. People report that during surgery under local anesthesia they felt no pain, just tactile sensations. Sometimes it is not pleasant. But nothing to be afraid.

It seems, that it is very helpful to have some professional help to lower fears and psychological stress before surgery. In some cases the patients get some antianxiety medications that help to overcome any tension. Like Kara, Mary Beth, and Adam said, try to discuss all possible aspects of implantation under local anesthesia with your CI team. It can resolve a lot of not needed worries and help you to make the best decision for you.

Wish you the best in finding the way to get the implant without any complications.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Janet,

yes - it is possible, it was developed for markets where anasthesiologist is very expensive or there are lack of them. Yes - this can happen...

All in all, personally - you have to be very stable person. Psychologically, at first place.
No, you really do not feel anything if local anastetic is given in appropriate dosage and at exact spot.
You really,, really, reeeally have to be fearless to go through this process...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know that I had my implant operation last week under local anaesthetic. Yes it was a bit scary, but was handled brilliantly by the surgeon and his team. It took an hour and a half and I was kept informed all the way through with cards held up telling me what was happening at each stage. I was warned I would go dizzy at one stage but that this would be momentary, and it was. I just had to keep still and was concentrating all the time on how it would all be worth it in the end. I am so grateful for this opportunity, given that I was refused the operation initially. Am now 6 days post op and beginning to feel more like my self. Activation 2nd May.

• HearPeers Heroes

You are a very strong person!  Good for you.  The worst is definitely behind you now.  Activation and the journey that follows is so worth it.  Thanks for letting us know.  Can't wait to read all about your experiences.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is great news Janet! Rest up and get feady for the wild ride!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Janet,

great to hear your operation went well, and now you have the excitement of activation ahead of you!

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Matt

• HearPeers Heroes

Janet, 

that is absolutely fantastic. I'm glad to hear all went well. Now comes the waiting for activation. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going

• HearPeers Heroes

Janet. I am so glad that your surgery is  in the past now. Sounds like you and your CI team handled it brilliantly. That was a great idea to inform you with cards about the surgery steps. I am sure you are in good hands. Waiting to hear about your activation. Hope it will be a great experience and result, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats wonderful news!! Best of luck in your journey !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Great - this is a classic case of good co-operation between patient and surgeon.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

AWESOME!  When I asked my audiologist today, she laughed and said she had never heard of it and would love to hear the doctor's response.  I tend to get very nauseated with surgery (I have had over 30) and would much prefer the procedure sans anesthesia.  From what I have read from other sources, they had some sedation.  Did you have any sedation with the procedure?  Thank you for sharing this!