Decision on implanting !

Julesrdh

My daughter has been profiundly deaf in her right ear for 13 years, she has recently lost hearing suddenly in her left ear. Hearing aides are helping in the left ear but her understandong speech is low. 

It was recommended to us to maybe implant her right ear which hasnt had hearing in over 10 yrs, before doing left. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with implanting after so many years of not hearing and the out come !? 

I have researched and have not found anything 

Thank you ! 

Confused mom :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

It's good that your daughter heard out of that ear before becoming deaf on that side.  I had a progressive loss which went from normal hearing to profound deafness over many years.  Then that side was not able to be helped with even the most powerful hearing aids.  So it remained deaf and unaided for 24 years before receiving a Cochlear Implant.  It is an amazing ear now.

I did a lot of aural rehab daily.  And I got lucky that my auditory nerve and brain responded so well.

Wishing your daughter the best.

• Like 1

That is amazing! I am so excited and happy to hear your story.  Thank you for giving me hope. Which implant did you use? Med-el? 

I am now going to research aural rehab. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. Med-El.

Look for our topic on aural rehab.  Lots of great info there.

Thank you so much for your advice. You have set my mind at ease with decision and choice of implant. I was on the fence. I think we have nothing to lose but trying. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing your daughter the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck on the journey!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Julesrdh, you asked whether you should implant the affectd ear which has deafened years ago or newly deafened ear? Or you are considering bilateral implantation?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Dr was thinking of implanting the ear that has been deafened along time ago . I was wondering if anyone had a good outcome with implant after more then ten years of deafness. I got to diffrent opinions from two different drs. Was wondering if it was worth it to go threw surgery.  

Sorry .. typo .. 

Two different drs gave me two different opinions.

One dr. said to implant even thought it has been deaf for over 10 yrs . He says nothing to lose but risk of surgery.

Other dr. wont even talk about implant bc she thinks it wont help. :( 

• HearPeers Heroes

I was told not to expect any open set speech understanding with my long standing deaf side but I got open set speech understanding.  I can even have conversations from separate rooms with that side alone.  It beat all the odds.

Obviously, this does not happen often or the doctors wouldn't be giving us such low expectations prior to surgery.

But it does happen sometimes.  It happened to me.

I almost did not go through with the implant after hearing such low expectations.  I am so happy I decided to give it a try!

That side did require intensive aural rehab to get up to speed.

best of luck on your decision.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your inspiring story. That makes it all worth the try. Therapy is wonderful for so many reasons. I hope we have the same success as you ! :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope you do too!

At activation, I only heard beeps and static.  Smile.  But I was so happy to hear those beeps and thankful that they did not all sound the same.

keep us posted.  I would love to follow your story.

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way, are you in the US?

I am in New York.

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way, are you in the US?

I am in New York.

I am going to rememeber  everything your telling me, so I keep hope! 

Yes, I am in NY too ! 

Did you have your surgery in city ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

My first implanted ear was completely dead for at least 10 years before the surgery. I was able to understand speech with just this implant without help of my other ear pretty shortly after surgery. But, of course, it tookr several weeks of rehabilitation to start understand speech clearly. And my brain is not so flexible as a brain of 17 years old. So, I am sure your daughter has a great chance of being successful with the implant.

• Like 2

That is so amazing. I am so excited to hear of your success and so happy for you. I am looking so forward to our journey with a positive outlook :) 

Did you also have the Med-el!? 

• HearPeers Heroes

There is a free workshop in NYC on April 1 called Hands On Hearing.  People who have CI or are considering CIs can attend and learn how to use assistive tech with our CIs or with both CIs and HAs.  I am attending.

its free but you have to register for a spot.  Both you and your daughter can attend.  You will get to meet other Med-El CI users and can ask any questions you have.

www.handsonhearing.com

I actually live 5 hours from NYC but I did choose NYC for my implant and all of my MAPping appointments.  I go to New York Eye and Ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, I got two Med El synchrony implants with Sonnet processors. Implanted my R dead ear in February 2016. Then, when I understand that this completely work for my I decided to implant my left ear with some residual hearing. Never regret my both decissions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, I got two Med El synchrony implants with Sonnet processors. Implanted my R dead ear in February 2016. Then, when I understand that this completely work for my I decided to implant my left ear with some residual hearing. Have never regretted  my both decissions.