Sonnet Second Mic

tjwarney

I am hearing rumors that the FDA has approved Med-El to turn on the second mic.  Has anyone gotten theirs activated?

• HearPeers Heroes

It is not a rumor.  Med-El has announced it on their USA FB page.  However, Med-El also states availability is anticipated in the spring.

• HearPeers Heroes

Curious how the mapping procedure is going to be different with two mics. Have our Audis to adjust the loudness / balance for each electrode for each mic setting separately like it happens with the single mic?

• HearPeers Heroes

Technically no since the dual mics are a front end processing however we may notice things are too quiet in the natural setting and may need a global boost to our MCLs.  It should have no effect on the shape of our MAP (each electrode's setting).

• HearPeers Heroes

Great to know that it is enough to adjudt just the "general impression" of the different settings. It should not take too much time. Thank you, Mary Beth.

• HearPeers Heroes

When I wore them in Arizona, they just programmed my current map to each processor. Each program worked fine and there was no need to adjust the map.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so are people getting the the second mic turned on now in the us? also what about for the wind?

• HearPeers Heroes

Looks like we need to wait a little bit more until it is practically available for US users.

I know I did read just a few minutes ago it was approved in the us, they just haven't done the update yet?

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know for sure why it is not available right after approval. But, perhaps, it takes time to train our audiologists in many centers across the country. Perhaps, some software or even additional hardware should be set up to make this new features available for distribution....

Okay thx, I am having surgery in may and am still deciding what I want .

• HearPeers Heroes

The 2nd mic has been approved by the FDA. That said, it will probably be mid spring before people start getting them activated. MEDEL has to send the software to each clinic in the U.S. Then the audiologists need to be trained and get up to speed as there are a few programs that the patient will have available

So my activation day is on May 17th, does that mean I have a chance of getting ti with asm2.0 turned on?

• HearPeers Heroes

Probably a good chance. Check with your audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Timing is everything ?

Eventually all will be up to speed. Sometimes we have to wait a little while. Your audiologist should keep you updated but it can't hurt to touch base a little closer to your activation

• HearPeers Heroes

Is your surgery May 17th or your activation? Just curious as if you are being activated on the 17th and having your surgery  within that 2 week window, that's pretty quick from operation to activation.

that said, I understand each audiologist has their own preferred amount of time between surgery and activation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Also so there is no confusion regarding my earlier post about Arizona.

i was able to utilize the processors with both mics on. I was at Arizona State University as part of some research that they were doing in regard to the 2 mics. They gave me 2 processors to wear for the duration that I was there. When we were done a few days later, I returned the processors and got mine back, each with the single mic

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Is your surgery May 17th or your activation? Just curious as if you are being activated on the 17th and having your surgery  within that 2 week window, that's pretty quick from operation to activation.

that said, I understand each audiologist has their own preferred amount of time between surgery and activation. 

I am having surgery on may 5th and activation in the 17th