Hello from St Stephen SC

Phillip

My name is Phillip, I'm new to hearpeers. Would like some input for my situation, I lost hearing suddenly in on my left side 10 yrs ago for no apparent reason. Approx 5 yrs ago the right side began to slowly decline. I am currently wearing bi cross hearing aids, which I am not very happy with. I filled out papers twice for cochlear to be tested but have not had the nerve to peruse the process. Just put the papers again yesterday. My guess is, I probably don't qualify.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Phillip,

Years ago I used bicros HAs too.  Then I switched to just wearing a top end HA on the side that was not yet deaf.  After that, as my hearing loss progressed even further, I explored CIs.

There is nothing to fear in starting to see I felt you qualify for a cochlear implant.  The process has many steps and you will just learn more about your hearing loss and cochlear implants along the way.  Then if you do qualify, you will still get to decide whether or not the timing is right for you.

I encourage you to go through the process.  Ask many questions.  Ask us too.  Whatever you decide, will be the right answer for you.  Best of luck.  And welcome to Hear Peers.

Welcome, Phillip!  Glad you have joined the group.

Just thought I would share this for anyone who has experienced sudden hearing loss with no explanation.  I suddenly lost hearing in the left ear 9 years ago.  Same as you, no explanation, although in speaking with Drs. I guess it is more common than one might think. 8 years after the hearing loss, the same thing happened in my right ear.  Hearing was gone in 1 hr.  Besides an MRI, the new Dr ordered many blood tests, one of which was a Lyme Disease test.  Sure enough it came back positive.  Hearing loss can be caused by Lyme disease.  I have met several people with Lyme disease who are wearing HAs because of Lyme. The CI surgeon I ended up with told me he never would have thought to test for Lyme Disease but he certainly will do this going forward with anyone who experiences sudden loss.  Lyme Disease is much more prevalent than many realize & can be very serious in so many ways.  Have learned so many things along the way since I was diagnosed.  Still treating for Lyme disease over 1 year after being diagnosed.  I had CI surgery 8 mths ago on one ear.  It has been quite a journey with ups & downs but it certainly has been a lifesaver for me. 

I also would encourage you to go through the process.  This can only give you more information to help you in making a decision going forward.  Good Luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to Hearpeers! I have progressive sensoral-neural loss and was implanted a year ago. It has been a lifesaver for me too! Best of luck on candidacy!! It is well worth the ride!! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Philip

I live in Mount Pleasant. I am bilaterally implanted and got my implants from Dr. Ted Meyer at MUSC in Charleston.  My hearing loss started gradually in the left ear due to a perilymph fistula. A few leafs later, the hearing in my other ear started to go. At this point I was fitted with bi-cros aids. I wasn't a huge fan either. Fast forward 15 years. No residual hearing in left due to a surgery. My right was hanging on with borderline severe loss. Over a period of about a month. All the hearing in my "good" ear went away.  I was evaluated a few months later. 

Which clinic are you going to?