Deborah

Deborah

I am contemplating getting a CI because my hearing deteriorated very quickly over the past 2 years.  I am concerned however because I am (or was) a professional violinist.  All the medical people whom I met said that they have no idea how this implant would affect my musical hearing.  The CI's supposedly have very good outcomes for conversation and speech.  So my question to everyone is: do you or someone you know who has a CI also play an instrument? Probably not the piano or guitar but perhaps a string instrument or woodwind instrument?  I am hoping to be able to continue my teaching and of course go back to attending concerts and listening to music at home. I was forced to resign from my professional orchestra performances but I hope to still enjoy playing my violin for myself and for my students! Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Deborah and welcome.  I am sorry that your hearing loss has impacted your musical career.  That has to be especially difficult.

There is quite a range of musical enjoyment with CIs.  There is no way to know ahead of time how we will do with music and our CIs but just like speech, there are things we can do to train our brains.

I train with an app designed for music majors on pitch comparison and it has helped greatly.  I attend concerts and musicals, listen to the radio in the car and sing along, and have returned to playing the piano.  My CIs have returned music to my life.  I learn new songs just by listening.  It has been amazing.

But at first it wasn't like this.  I could not tell if two notes were the same or different.  Music was a gift that revealed itself slowly over time.  First percussion, then brass, etc.  I welcomed whatever music sounded like at the time and took notice of the parts that were appearing.  Lots of exposure to music and active listening really helped me.

Here is a link to an international music festival of CI users

i wish you the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Deborah,

If you decide to get a CI please try to find a CI center that performs CI and music research. Also a CI audiologist whom is interested in programming CIs to improve music perception and possibly works with the research group.

This will give you the best environment to improve music perception.

• HearPeers Heroes

Much agreed Hadron. But it is a work in progress like Mary Beth said. I can too enjoy music again. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, Mary Beth said:

Hi Deborah and welcome.  I am sorry that your hearing loss has impacted your musical career.  That has to be especially difficult.

There is quite a range of musical enjoyment with CIs.  There is no way to know ahead of time how we will do with music and our CIs but just like speech, there are things we can do to train our brains.

I train with an app designed for music majors on pitch comparison and it has helped greatly.  I attend concerts and musicals, listen to the radio in the car and sing along, and have returned to playing the piano.  My CIs have returned music to my life.  I learn new songs just by listening.  It has been amazing.

But at first it wasn't like this.  I could not tell if two notes were the same or different.  Music was a gift that revealed itself slowly over time.  First percussion, then brass, etc.  I welcomed whatever music sounded like at the time and took notice of the parts that were appearing.  Lots of exposure to music and active listening really helped me.

Here is a link to an international music festival of CI users

i wish you the best!

Thank you for all this info plus the video.  I would like to know the name of the app that you use for pitch recognition.  I am eager to re-learn music ASAP after my surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

I like Auralia Pitch Comparison and the Melodic Contour Identification apps right now.  There are more.

I was not ready to train pitch at first.  I started this training when I was able to be successful in hearing the pitch differences.

With all aural rehab, repeated success is key.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to hearpeers 

to each what Mary Beth said, I haven't watched a number of videos of implantees going back to playing different instruments. Wishing you the best. Do you have a surgery date setting yet? 

I am set with my surgery date.  May 30.  I am hoping for the best yet knowing I will have to be patient and work towards success. My surgeon made me feel very comfortable at my last meeting with him.  I'm going in with lots of confidence in him and the hospital! My greatest wish is to hear beautiful music again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Deborah,

terrific!  Now the countdown to surgery begins.  Wishing you the best.  Patience and a positive mindset, along with dedicated training, will be your friends on this journey.