Introduction

Barbara

• HearPeers Heroes

You found us!  Awesome!  Feel free to tell us a bit of your story.  Welcome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Barbara, I believe you mentioned working with Children. What do you do for a living? If you don't mind me asking

Before retiring, I worked as a teaching assistant, first at the high school level with special needs children who had been denied home care and being taught how to live in society. After 7 years, I burned out and asked to be transferred to elementary school.

During the summer break, I was asked to take a position with elementary school, working with special needs children in the mentally challenged stages; these children being 8 to 11 years of age and learning at the second grade level. This was, I believe, my true finding in the classroom.

Upon retirement, I substituted as needed in special ed. classes. Most of the time, I was pulled in for the hearing impaired classes. Again one of the most rewarding areas I could have chose. I feel this was due, in part, to my loss of hearing. At this time, I had double aids and fit in with the classes very well.  One highly impressive occurrence was one morning when the National Anthem was played, the children stood and signed the entire anthem.  This touched the depth of the soul and did, indeed, bring tears to my eyes.

Anything further, I shall be glad to try to answer you.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's awesome! What a journey you have been on!