Issues experienced after a year with the Sonnet 2

Juan P

I have had a Sonnet CI implanted in my left ear for over a year now. I've noticed some significant progress in my ability to hear conversations one-on-one and over the phone, but only when using over-ear headphones. Listening to music has also improved with the headphones, but unfortunately, I can't find any that fit over my audio stream cover. I'm curious how other users deal with finding the right fit.

On the downside, I'm still struggling to understand conversations involving more than three people, which can be frustrating. I mentioned this to my ENT during my annual follow-up, and after reviewing my audiogram test, he recommended a hearing aid for my right ear. But I'm hesitant to proceed with a hearing aid without first revisiting how my Sonnet device has been performing up to this point.

In fact, I've noticed that the sound quality of my Sonnet seems to have somewhat deteriorated a bit, and sometimes it sounds like I have a mild cold. This issue occurs in both of my Sonnet devices (the audio stream and audio link). Although mild, I wonder if this issue might have an impact on  my ability to hear conversations when more than 3 people are involved.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and has any recommendations on how to address it?

Thanks in advance for reading this message,  Juan

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

Could it be time for a MAP adjustment?

It is not uncommon for people who use assistive tech to prefer that sound transmission over listening through processor mics.

I think finding an around the ear headphone that fits for me with the longer AudioStream cover or the longer Sonnet MAX rechargeable battery cover will be difficult.  My Sonnets fit in BOSE QC35 headphones but won’t fit if they are any longer than the standard battery cover.

Thanks, Mary Beth!  You are always extremely helpful, and you take time from your busy schedule to help CI users.  I am glad you do because I value your opinion highly.

Yes, I think a Map checking or readjustment might be the next step. The last one I had was 6 months ago.  At that time, 2 reps from med-el worked with my audiologist to come up with a map to reduce noise.  unfortunately, my ability to hear conversations in small groups is a terrible disappointment. I'll keep trying.

Believe it or not, I can actually understand some people better with headphones via a phone call than face-to-face. I know it sounds strange but for me is reality.

I am still trying to find an over-the-ear headphone that can fit. So far, it is the only technology that helps me hear music and conversations better.   Thanks again. Juan

• HearPeers Heroes

@Juan P

Thank you for your kind words.

If you find an around the ear headphone that fits the Sonnet with the longer AudioStream cover, please let me know.

I worked with my audiologist to create a Sonnet MAP to use with AudioStream to block out as much of the Sonnet mics as possible.  I sure do miss the 100/0 mixing ratio when using AudioStream.  The work around for me is…. 

iPhone at max or near max volume 

Sonnet MAP created and saved at 70-100% volume range  and also sensitivity set at zero percent.  (These are things our audiologists set in a program for us.)

Then I move into that program when I want to use AudioStream and quiet the Sonnet mics as much as possible.

I am going to tag you in a post about getting one program in omni mic setting.  It’s my favorite mic setting and most adults never get to try it.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I can find a headphone that fits the longer AudioStream cover.

I'll check with my audiologist about the mapping you are suggesting.

Thanks for the Omni mic setting suggestion. I will also check that with my audiologist.