Introducing myself

Douglas Jones

Hello my name is Doug and i was just inform that i am a canidate for a implant i am a musician seen still have some low frequency i was told having a implant could take away that because it different with implants so that mean i will not here my guitar anymore is this true???

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Doug, welcome here. I was lucky to keep my low frequencies after implantation. But if not, co will do it for us. I think it is a big chance that you will hear your guitar after implantation with the proper training. By the way, sound of guitar is more than low frequencies. So, hopefully, after you learn how to hear with ci, you will hear instruments even better than you can do it now. Good luck!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Douglas,

welcome to hearpeers! MEDEL is known for their atraumatic electrode arrays. What that means is, being implanted with their electrode array gives you a very good chance to preserve any residual hearing. Obviously each person is different but the odds would be in your favor.

they also have complete Cochlear coverage. This means that the electrode arrays can reach the entire length of the cochlea which gives a much wider range of sounds or different pitches it can pick up. This makes music appreciation so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Douglas take a look at this video

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Doug - welcome to the group!

I was implanted in October and I still have most of my lower frequency hearing. I play the flute and will admit it was hard at first to discern pitches with the implant. It is gradually getting better with practice and time. I use a music tuner app to help me to determine flat, sharp, or on pitch. The app is really handy especially with scales for practicing. I'm thinking because the guitar has a nice low and full sound, it will be easier than the flute to pick back up with the CI. 

As far as listening to music, it's wonderful ? No complaints there. It's just playing and hearing the changes in pitch that is taking longer to come back to me. 

Good luck and keep us updated!

*Megan

• Like 1

On Saturday, April 01, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Cara Mia said:

Hi Doug, welcome here. I was lucky to keep my low frequencies after implantation. But if not, co will do it for us. I think it is a big chance that you will hear your guitar after implantation with the proper training. By the way, sound of guitar is more than low frequencies. So, hopefully, after you learn how to hear with ci, you will hear instruments even better than you can do it now. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the time in responding i am still a little nervous but i know God got me much love to you!!

15 hours ago, Megan L. said:

Hi Doug - welcome to the group!

I was implanted in October and I still have most of my lower frequency hearing. I play the flute and will admit it was hard at first to discern pitches with the implant. It is gradually getting better with practice and time. I use a music tuner app to help me to determine flat, sharp, or on pitch. The app is really handy especially with scales for practicing. I'm thinking because the guitar has a nice low and full sound, it will be easier than the flute to pick back up with the CI. 

As far as listening to music, it's wonderful ? No complaints there. It's just playing and hearing the changes in pitch that is taking longer to come back to me. 

Good luck and keep us updated!

*Megan

Wow thank you Megan it a pleaure meeting you i pick up most signals more in the spirit realm then anything but being able to hear fully what most things sound like will be a great blessing thank u for the time to respond to my concerns God bless u will keep u up to date!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Nice meeting you too Doug ? The CI is an amazing piece of technology. With a little work and dedication to aural rehab, the CI will be a handy tool. It will transform your hearing. Ask all the questions you need too! Looking forward to hearing more about your CI journey!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Douglas Jones said:

Yes i will thanks

Wow thank you so much!! I know it gonna take some getting use to but i will suceed!!!

Wow thank you Megan it a pleaure meeting you i pick up most signals more in the spirit realm then anything but being able to hear fully what most things sound like will be a great blessing thank u for the time to respond to my concerns God bless u will keep u up to date!!

Thank you so much for the time in responding i am still a little nervous but i know God got me much love to you!!

It a tough decision to make what about risks are any to be concern about??

• HearPeers Heroes

It is a tough decision no doubt!

Off the top of my head - there are the usual risks associated with any surgery and if you have any residual hearing, that could be lost/damaged when the implant is inserted. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Douglas,

Yes there are risks associated with cochlear implant surgery.  The best person to explain those risks to you is your CI surgeon.  Write down all of your questions.  My CI surgeons (2 different surgeons implanted my right and left sides) explained all of the risks and answered all of my questions.  Best of luck to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Doug, 

i strongly agree with Mary Beth. There are always risks to any surgery. I would discuss these with your doctor plus any questions you have as your surgeon knows your health and hearing history the best. 

please keep us updated 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome Doug. There is a risk for sure. But your surgeon will know best what those risks are for you. Best of luck!!