New born unilateral hearing

Mohith Karanth

Hi,

My daughter was born two weeks back and had failed the hearing test in her left ear twice. She is up for another test in two weeks. I don't want to keep my expectations too high and so i was wondering what the next steps would be. I heard about cochlear implants. Does this help for infants? Is there any other treatment option available? I would just like to be well informed before i meet the doctors. Any help/information would be very useful. We are quite stressed out about this. Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.  I am sure finding out that your daughter has a hearing loss in one ear has been overwhelming.  It's great that you are seeking information already.  My advice, is to write down all of your questions and ask them at your daughter's next hearing test.  

I wish your daughter the very best.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Mary Beth. Yes i I'll do what u suggested..Will make a note of everything when we go for her next hearing test. Will keep updating here..

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks.  We will be here.  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and congratulations! As Marybeth said, I'm sure you are overwhelmed. The questions you asked could take a lot of information to answer. Right now, I would be keeping in close contact with your doctor and his or her team as they know your new babies health status the best right now. As MaryBeth suggested, make sure you write down any questions that you might have for the doctor. This way, you are not apt to forget anything. 

Im sure more testing will be done to confirm any findings. Try to take this time to celebrate the beautiful new bundle of joy that you have just brought into this world. 

Please keep us updated on how things are going. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. There is a facebook group for cochlear implant users with single sided deafness. There are some parents in the group who have implanted their children and might be able to help answer your questions. If you'd like the link to the group, please feel free to send me a PM. I wish you and your family all the best as you navigate this journey.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk