MRI

Walker West

My urologist has ordered a pelvis only MRI.  Have any of you had a non-whole body MRI?  If so, any comlications or concerns?  I have CIs in both ears.  Thanks in advance.

Walker West

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely bring the MRI directions from Med-El.  Their website has a downloadable booklet about medical procedures with our implants.  It may be worth sharing that with the MRI center ahead of time do they are prepared.

Thank you.  I found the site.  I will be calling Med-El on Monday to find out what I have on the right side as I only got a card listing the type of implant for the left side.  They were done two years apart.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mine were implanted 8 months apart and I still have two different internal implants. Smile.  Right side Concert.  Left side Synchrony.

I am bilateral as of a week ago. Having only a left side Synchrony implant one year ago, I had a targeted pelvis 3.0T MRI with contrast lasting 50 minutes without any special head-wrap bandages or complications. I believe the bandages are normally required when the targeted area is less than 11 in. (28cm) from the implant.

David:  Thanks very much for the information-I consider it to be very good news as I was concerned as to safety and if I could even have one.  I hope the results of your recent implant are good.    I found mine to be better than the first and hope yours will be as well.

Best Regards,

Walker

You're very welcome, Walker. and yes, so far, everything is fine with the second implant. I'm looking forward to its activation in a few weeks.

Apologies if this is more information than you are seeking, but from my personal experience, If you have a Synchrony implant and the pelvis test is ordered by your urologist, it would be prudent to have a 3.0T MRI with contrast. In my case, which began in April, 2016, a tumor was discovered, and its malignancy would not have been confirmed during a biopsy without first having the 3.0T MRI with contrast because they would not have known where to look. The actual biopsy suggested malignancy, the organ and surrounding lymph nodes were surgically removed, the subsequent pathology analysis confirmed adenocarcinoma, and that it had not spread outside the organ. In simple terms, I am 100% cured without requiring radiation treatments, or aggressive monitoring.

Best result possible!  I hope you celebrated. 

Can't have too much information, the more the better as, these days, one has to be an active participant in one's health care.

Walker

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you both the best 

Mary Beth,

Thank you.

As you are bilateral, do you use two of the drying kits Med-El provides, or did you purchase a dryer that holds both processors?

David:  If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple of questions related to your experience with the MRI that would probably be best done away from the forum.  As I don't see a way to send you a private message, my email is walkerwest67@gmail.com.  One email both ways should suffice.  Thanks in advance

Walker 

• HearPeers Heroes

David,

Yes, I am bilateral.  When I use the Rondos, they both fit nicely in one dry kit.  However my daily wear processors are the Sonnets.  Every night I place each Sonnet in its own dry kit.  (Remove the rechargeable batteries first.)