Cracked case on Rondo 3

Glenn

I am on my 3rd or 4th replacement due to the case cracking from being knocked off my head. I am using a hair clip to attach the processor to my hair with a leash. I tried the ones that attach to clothing, but that broke the leash and the leash material is impossible to make a loop in. Some kind of pre-formed silicone or such. 

Anyway, I can't be the only one that is seeing the red LED flash around the seam in the case. Is this happening to others? Is there something to put around the processor so that when it hits the deck it isn't broken? It is not a matter of if it gets knocked off, but when it gets knocked off. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glenn Neff

I have not read people’s reports about cracked Rondo 3 cases.

I am trying to think of ways your Rondo 3 may fall less often but you may have already tried these….

1) Check with your audiologist to confirm the correct magnet strength is being used 

2) Try gripwear for a more secure attachment to your hair

3) Consider using a Rondo 3 cover with tether and secure clip from eargear

For me, Rondo family processors only fall off when I do something that causes them to get knocked off like remove a tee shirt without removing them first, bump my head against a headrest in the car, etc.  But it always makes me anxious that I will knock them off.  So using some kind of definitely secure line and attachment is a great strategy to keep them safe.

17 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Glenn Neff

I have not read people’s reports about cracked Rondo 3 cases.

I am trying to think of ways your Rondo 3 may fall less often but you may have already tried these….

1) Check with your audiologist to confirm the correct magnet strength is being used 

2) Try gripwear for a more secure attachment to your hair

3) Consider using a Rondo 3 cover with tether and secure clip from eargear

For me, Rondo family processors only fall off when I do something that causes them to get knocked off like remove a tee shirt without removing them first, bump my head against a headrest in the car, etc.  But it always makes me anxious that I will knock them off.  So using some kind of definitely secure line and attachment is a great strategy to keep them safe.

1) I tried going up to a five from a 3 on the magnet and it hurt the side of my head too much. I am going to put a 4 in to see if that helps, but I had to wait for my head to heal again as the five moved things around enough to cause pain. My audiologist is 300 miles away, so just a quick visit is an overnight trip.

2) I had the gripwear and the clothes clip on the last processor I broke. It cracked the first time it hit the deck. I have gripwear on this processor too and so far, so good. I have 2 processors for the left side, so I can sideline a cracked one while I wait for a replacement. I am afraid water and dirt will get into the processor and cause serious damage and of course the IP rating is shot then too.

3) I have 3 styles of tether for them. The one that attaches to my hair seems to work the best. I have seen some clips that have a "hair comb" style attachment for the leash. The ones for sale have a rather awkward cover that goes over the rondo3 cover/mic filter. The rondo3 has handy clip attachment points I can clip a leash to. The problem I have is my hair is very fine and the Med-El clips don't grab it very well. I don't care if people can see it. I am actually kind of proud of it :)

I am a retired electronics technician with a machine shop in my garage and a background in jewelry making, so stay tuned for what I come up with to make these things stay put or bounce better, or both.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glenn Neff

I am definitely interested in what you come up with to help your Rondo 3 processors stay put.  I like the ear gear type of tether and clip.  The tether is durable and stretches and the clip is very secure.  I see ear gear sells various types for hearing aids and have wondered if the one for the in the ear hearing aid which has a small ring at the end could be rigged up to work with Rondo 3.  I know many people who do not use any tether or clip with Rondos but for me that would be one unfortunate event away from a serious problem.  I have had people hug me and accidentally knock off the Rondo.  It landed inches directly behind their feet.  One step back and smash.  So to use Rondos in my everyday life would require a secure tether and clip.  I use them when I am in or near water and put them in waterwear and then the Rondo covers with tether and clip from ear gear.  Works fabulously.

I will keep you posted. I have some stretchy monofilament line they use in making some beaded necklaces and bracelets. I am experimenting with ways to make loops on the end of the line without making a huge knot. Do you have Rondo 3's? Attaching a tether to the case is easy, attaching the tether to me is the tricky part. 

I do wear a watch cap in the garage and outside sometimes when it's cold, but that won't last much longer as soon it will be 100° outside.  

It is so comfortable I forget it is there and just sweep my hand through my hair and boing...so it needs a more solid attachment to my hair. I may end up with flowers in my hair LOL