New implant today!

lib

• HearPeers Heroes

Was today your activation day?  Which processor are you using?

Hi Lib. Congrats on your implant! It will take awhile to adjust, but you will adjust! I had lots of bells and whistles at activation and it was probably a week or two until everything settled and I got the robot voices. I'm now about four and a half months in and I have noticed real improvements. I was tested for word recognition at the beginning of April and scored a little over 80% basically coming from zero but the past few weeks I've made what I consider real advance again. I can now understand whole paragraphs in an audiobook which to me is astounding. I'm beginning to believe I'll reach my goal of talking on the phone in the next while. 

Just remember practise and patience are the key. And welcome to Hearpeers!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hicksy,

Terrific start!  Great to hear.

1 hour ago, lib said:

^_^  lots of whistling...

thanks guys...its hijab cochlear if that makes sense??  not sure what make will have to check..^_^^_^^_^..im a little disappointed as I'm not hearing as well as with my hearing aid but it's only my 1st day...think I will struggle at work tomorrow but must stay positive...

• HearPeers Heroes

The three largest CI companies are Med-El, Advanced Bionics and Cochlear.  This is a Med-El forum so almost all of us use Med-El processors.  Each of the companies offer several different processors.  Med-El newest processors are the Sonnet (behind the ear version) and Rondo (one-piece processor).

Regardless of which brand you have, the journey of learning to listen with a CI is very similar.  Many people do NOT understand speech at activation.  There are many sounds people report, including beeps, static, bells, whistles, squeaks, etc.  When our brains start figuring out the input, speech may sound strange.  People report robotic, Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, etc.  Over time and with aural rehab (check out our topic on aural rehab for great tips), our brains make better sense of the input and speech sounds natural.

Hang in there.  Activation is just the starting point.  Things will get better.  

20 hours ago, lib said:

thanks guys...its hijab cochlear if that makes sense??  not sure what make will have to check..^_^^_^^_^..im a little disappointed as I'm not hearing as well as with my hearing aid but it's only my 1st day...think I will struggle at work tomorrow but must stay positive...